Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 34 cab is back from the sand blaster an is epoxy primed. There is rust that I had to patch in on the floor and some that is not very large and is in none structural areas. Should these be cut out and repaired or are they OK with the blasting and epoxy primer? When the truck is done it will be under coated. Also is it OK to cover these areas with filler?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Door skins and cab corners have been replaced. I just have some damage in the floor where the wood floor panels sit. None of this will show and is not part of the body just floor structure. It is sound and solid, just has some rust holes.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Well, now is the time to do it, while apart.
Just remember, that even though it won't be seen, and the metal strong enough as it is.
Wood holds moisture and the hole/crater/pit will trap it and start the cancer .
If it is just the step/lip where the wood meats the metal,maybe use body seam sealer to fill and smooth the lip where the wood will meet the metal.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Yup, but the POR 15 will seal the metal and the glass will return a slight amount of strength to the metal and act to fill the pin holes. If you have ever used the stuff let me say there is no washing it off your fingers or hands if it even comes close to curing. Only time will remove it. That stuff is some kind of tough! You can even use it to glue the wood to the metal.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
This a picture of the worst and the fix. I have some that is very minor but I also know that I need to do it right. Was just hoping for an easy cure.

·
Rod...from a Chrysler?
5,086 Posts
If there are just pin holes, try an awl at all the pits close by that look deep. Wiggle around and try to break thru. If you find it 's breaking thru easy on most, cut and replace. If just pinholes scattered and the pits are not breaking thru, just zap the pinholes with the MIG if that's what you have. TIG, place an aluminum or copper backer and give a blob of rod to them.
If they really blow away when you try welding them, start cutting and replacing.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The pictures that I posted are not what I was talking about. I just wanted to show the worst area in the cab. I know that you are not looking at pin holes here. I do thank you all for the comments and I will probably cut out most of the problems and have it over with.

·
Registered
860 Posts
I recently used Bondo Glass to patch some small rust holes at the bottom of a pickup bed stake pocket. It's kind of a combination of filler and fiberglass that seems much tougher than regular Bondo. Actually, I'm not sure if the filler is regular Bondo. It acts more like a thick epoxy. Great stuff. (y)

·
Registered
179 Posts
I'm with Ford blue blood. POR-15 and fiberglass mat. The tops of both rear quarters on my roadster were swiss cheese. On the underside I laid down some POR, followed that with mat then brushed on another coat of POR. When that was dry I layed of skim coat of all-metal body filler on the topside and called it a day. Worked great!

·
Registered
860 Posts
I'm with Ford blue blood. POR-15 and fiberglass mat. The tops of both rear quarters on my roadster were swiss cheese. On the underside I laid down some POR, followed that with mat then brushed on another coat of POR. When that was dry I layed of skim coat of all-metal body filler on the topside and called it a day. Worked great!
I did the same thing as a temporary fix for pinhole rust on a door bottom. POR-15 on fiberglass mat inside of the door and thin coat of Bondo on the outside. Even 11 years later there was no cracking or rust peeking through. Nice temporary fix!

[/QUOTE]

·
the 'Duracell Project'
2,371 Posts
POR 15 and fiber glass mat.
i did this to the floor of my 63 chevy II with great success
though it was pin holes not swiss cheese

some of us have mad metal skills like 123pugsy with his elco project
the rest of us sort of wing it to look like his work 🤣

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Almost all the rust has been cut out. I still have two small areas to patch. I will POR 15 the bottom of the cab and then under coat. All pin holes are gone with patches and I want to thank everyone for the ideas. I do have a couple areas that may get the epoxy and POR 15 treatment.

·
Rod...from a Chrysler?
5,086 Posts
Almost all the rust has been cut out. I still have two small areas to patch. I will POR 15 the bottom of the cab and then under coat. All pin holes are gone with patches and I want to thank everyone for the ideas. I do have a couple areas that may get the epoxy and POR 15 treatment.
Do not POR15 clean, rust free metal. Use epoxy primer only.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts