Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I swapped rear ends in my S10 to limited slip S10 rear.
Doing so I had to swap the yoke and cardan joint flanges.
Of course I thought it was just a remove and replace job.
Now it has a noise. Haven't driven it, just idled.
How do I proper preload it now?

·
High Performance Rear Ends
3,782 Posts
The method that has always worked for me when changing a yoke or pinion seal is to torque the nut to 150 foot pounds. You need to put RTV sealant in the splines of the yoke before installing it so that oil doesn't leak through the splines, and red Locktite on the threads. How did you do it?

·
Registered
956 Posts
It would have been wise to check rotational torque before you loosened the pinion nut. And then tighten the new nut to that same torque. That doesn't mean all would have been OK, but things would have been back to where they were when you got the new rear axle. All you can do now is guess, or possibly check pinion pre-load. But that's best done with the carrier removed.

Did you have the rear wheels off the ground with the driveshaft turning? If so, you'll hear all kinds of noises, mostly rumbling. Lot's of things making noise back there when there is no load applied.

·
3,782 Posts
If you are running this with the rear suspension hanging down then you are putting your drive shaft and an awful angle. You need to have the weight of the car on the rear end when running it.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It is hanging. No drums on the brakes. Sounds like a loose pebble bouncing around. Definitely from the pinion area.
I just tightened the bolt down.
I'll definitely need to redo to apply sealer.
Is there a way to install a new crush sleeve with the rest in place? I want to avoid having to fully disassemble the whole diff. Gear wear looks good, bearings seem ok.

·
3,782 Posts
You don't need to replace the crush spacer. Just assemble it with sealer in the yoke splines and red Locktite on the threads and torque the nut to 150 foot pounds. Put the weight of the car on the rear end and try it again.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts