Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am constructing shift linkage in a rear engined car which requires the shift linkage to run to the back of the car with 3 universal joints that attach to a 1/2" shaft. The joint manufacturer suggests the joints be attached to the shaft with roll pins but I would not be able to get at them to remove the linkage. I am bolting them together with 1/4-28 socket head screws. Would this be ok?

·
It'll go, or it'll blow...
152 Posts
If I read this correctly, you are wanting to attach the U-joint yokes to the shaft(s) using the socket head cap screws.

I'm thinking the shafts would need either a machined flat for the set screw to bear on, have a "D" shape to mate with the yoke or external splines to mate with yokes' internal splines. This is typically how shafts and yokes are atached (also by pinning as you mentioned.)

How are you attaching the yokes to shafts? The simplest would be with a set screw bearing on a flat. I would not have a set screw bearing on a round shaft as it will spin. You could mill or file a flat for the screw to bear on.

Maybe I read too much into you question. Does this sound like what you're doing?

·
It'll go, or it'll blow...
152 Posts
Just re-read original question. Are you going to have the bolts go through the yoke and shaft in lieu of roll pins? If so this would be OK too.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have holes in the shaft tapped to 1/4-28 thread. The set screw threads about 3/8" into the shaft.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts