Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Some Punk Kid
786 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Pulled the plugs to regap them today on my SBC and noticed oil on the threads of the head and base of plug. The only thing I have done is the break in and a couple high idle sessions. This mainly stems back to a question I had a long while ago before I had this motor assembled. The machinist/builder at the shop sold me some double plasma rings. I think that means that not only the top ring is plasma but the second as well. He told me that I would have considerable blowby for a couple thousand miles.

So my actual question is: Has anyone used these rings and can they tell me if they had this much blowby?

I am a big time worry wort, so everything bothers me if it doesnt seem right. I am going to see if I can finally get this truck to move today even though it is really cold outside.

·
Registered
4,104 Posts
you would have to ask your question based on the specific hone finish your builder put on your cylinders...and the specific brand and part number rings to get a reasonably correct response

take your plugs to the builder and show him what you found..

very probably way to early to stress....get some miles on it

·
Some Punk Kid
786 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah probably right, but like I said I am a worry wort.
They are perfect circle rings. The hone job looked good.
But like you said I'll put some miles on it. I finally got the ratchet shifter to lock each gear on saturday and it finally moved under its own power 10 minutes ago.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Piston Ring Leak Blow by

Yeah I dont know nothin about the Plasma But if By Perfect Circle you mean Total seal Ring ?
On Vw's <<< about only thing I know ? We run 2nd, total seal Ring With stock set .
You can tell when there seated right , By turnin motor over by hand << The pulley will tend too rebound on you .
Meaning If you turn it TDC number 1 it will rebound 1/4 turn or less . You have too hold it there at TDC few seconds , for compression too bleed off for it too stay .
Pull distributor capp watch each cylinder , as you turn it by hand .
see if it each one doesnt have a lil rebound too it .
Seating ring's 101 >> Up down >. 55 mph, 45 mph, 65 mph , 45 mph, Up down 65mph , 45 mph << Preferably Up hill or a mountain .
Total seal ring's cause considerable blow by at first . In some application's a o- ring is used , on valve guide's , too prevent blow by past the guide .

But dont be suprised until totally seated if high performance ring's dont tend too push a lil oil . << Long as it's Minimal and not gettin a lott of, crank case pressure in the bottom end .

But I would say Nahh ! Lil oel pushin as long as it's minor or mi-nute is expected , until ring's are, fully seated .

There considerably more Pressure on unseated cylinder's , than conventional rings, are before there seated . Because there full circle . << They get more suction, and push before there seated, than conventional Ring's, would . So tend too Pump lil more blow by intoo the bottom end than conventional , Ring's Do, just at first . Until there seated . << Then, once seated shouldnt be Hardly No blow by, at all !

But new unseated they Pump and compress harder than conventional ring's . But Because there unseated . You can gett a lil more blow by at first .
Than you would with Conventional ring's .

Hope I explained it Right ?
As too plasma I have No idea what a Plasma Ring is ? Just my .02 cent's , worth on total seal ring's . That and we only use a 2 nd Ring ! Other wise can pull the Top's off of Piston's On Vw's ?

Sean

·
Some Punk Kid
786 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The brand is perfect circle. I believe they are made by clevite(Someone can correct me if I am wrong). They are not gapless rings. The plasma is an exterior coating, but I don't know if double plasma is two layers on one ring or single layer on first and second ring.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Piston Ring Leak / Blowby

Ok Now that Im Hearing it again . Perfect circle do sound famaliar .
Not really famaliar with them .
What exactly are these ring's suppose too do for you ?
Hi performance piston ring's tend too work more efficiently , than Conventional Ring's.
Before there seated . << Mean's tend too gett more blow by than conventional ring's Before they seat.
Once seated , should clean up ?

I Break My motor's In With > up , Down 65 Mph back off too 45 mph back up too 55, then 65 then , 45mph << Work them in .
Preferably Up Hill . Now commin back down hill ?
I will Coast a bit . << so as you dont want the weight of the Vehicle , pushin against the compression . << Meaning dont use Compression as a Brake too slow down by down shifting. <, weight of vehicle against compression , tends too bend and break thing's , on new motor's .
then back up the hill or mountain >. Up 65 then back too 45 up too 70 mph then back down too 40 . <<< Seat ring's Pretty quick , workin um, hard up hill .
Try too Duplicate a Water brake Dyno affect . << Seat's ring's in a 1 or 2 hour Dyno Session.

Nickasil ring's or the total seal, some times require a different finish or cross hatch .
Instead of the Usual 90 Deg. Cross hatch Sometimes suggest a 60 Deg. or even 30 Deg. Cross hatch .
My understanding the reason for this , is too reduce Break in Blow by , when harder material's are used .

Unless your blow by is excessive ? I would work the ring's , try too gett them too seat ! << work um Up Hill . But Come down the Mountain Easy ! << Like I said usin Compression too slow down can break ring's when, there new . <, Pull top's of of Piston's ?
Twist Crank's etc Gott the weight of a Vehicle Pushin or Drivin , against the crank and piston's .
I avoid this down hill action for good 5000 miles . Vw Crank's are Small !! << 3 Fatt Chick's In a Bugg with, a tight new Motor, Commin down the mountain usin compression of the motor too slow the descent ?
Somethin's Gonna Give ? Same on any Vehicle ! Just lott more critical in Vw's, when there tight . << Cause there small .
But using compression/ combustion . By Accelerateing up and down too seat ring's , while driving up hill . <<, Work's pretty good ! <, Kinda Duplicates a Water brake Dyno Session !
Once seated ? Get out and cruise her for 250 Mile drive , at say 70+ mph Fluctuateing 5 or 10 mph across the flatts !

I Gotta get back intoo V8 Motor's ? 3 fatt chick's in a bugg ? Where the Hell do I come up with this Stuff ? :D Good Luck !
Sean

·
Banned
1,680 Posts
We have never used Pefect Circle rings and we may only deal with couple street engines a year but on those we have used the Seal Power Rings and seem to have good luck.

All the engines we build we go right through them as far as line hone square and deck a bore and torque plate hone and we have nver really had to break the eingines and on on the dyno we see no signs of blowby.

But we have dynoed engines that have not been prepared right and not plate honed and on these engines we do see steady blue smoke from the breathers.

On the SBC we have seen the cylinders distort up to .004 out of round and how would you ever get rings to seal in this enviorment.

Here is a good link on block that came in our shop that was burning oil and had blowby issues.
http://www.camaros.net/forums/showthread.php?t=58964

·
Hotrodders.com Moderator
2,089 Posts
I wouldn't be overly worried yet. Like Red65 says depending on what finish your machinist got from honing it might take a little bit before the rings seat. To help speed up the ring break in you're going to need some sort of load on the engine that you're not getting yet. When you do get to drive it some, or are able to put the motor in gear with the brakes on you'll see an improvement.

Also like CNC has stated honing with plates is the best option for ring seal but seeing as you're past that point I would just give it time.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts