Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have had problems with the claimer type pistons for a 383.Has any one else had problems with them folding the top ring lands off.I have contacted the makers of the pistons and all they could do is try to discredit my install.All i want to know is if there is anyone that has had the same problem.IF this is not in the right place then teell me where to put it thanks.

·
Registered
9,050 Posts
I have had dozens of them returned!!!!!!

But Very few if any were the fault of the manufacturer. YOU MUST FOLLOW THE INSTRUCTIONS on ring gap.... That is what takes the top land off!! Once the rings Butt it's all over.

All of these type pistons require a wide top ring gap...

·
Hotrodders.com Moderator
2,783 Posts
pistons

This is the right place....

Bob is exactly right,, If you have not been setting the top ring gap then this is the problem. I usually go a good .002" over what the top recommended gap is..

Also, If you still have any of the pistons look at the skirt At the longest point right before the radius that turns around the side to the pin bores. Are there long scratches there???? From the ring land down to almost the bottom of the skirt???

Keith

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I had my ring gap set at nearly double do the fact that the first time i installed the pistons I read the instruction and i put an aditional .10 to a already preset set of rings just so that would happen.Then i doubled it.Well it happend during breakin.so i called them and they said the exact same thing.Check the ring gap.So i ordered a single piston and i reinstalled it again.This has only hapened to one piston out of eight.Well i drove my truck for about 2 weeks and i had a smashed plug for no reason.I took my head off and found that smashed plug and the truck was still running with a cracked piston.I build motors for a living fast ones and I have never seen odball things like this.But this is the first set of cheep pistons I've used.wish it wasn't in my motor.THINKING OF BUYING THE SAME SET SO I DON'T HAVE TO REBALANCE MY MOTOR,BECAUSE THESE WERE ALL BALANCED TOGETHER.WHAT DO YOU GUYS THINK.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.