Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
tryn to learn
841 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i pulled my SBC 350 apart to put new gaskets in it and im just wondering if i should be cleaning the piston tops and heads before i put it back togther. the motor has 10,000km(6,000miles). heads were new but pistons were reused when it was rebuilt. i attached a couple pictures, they seem to have a fair amount of carbon on them for a motor that wasnt lightly used? is my carb running to rich?

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
piston/heads cleaning?

Personally I would clean everything and also smooth any rough edges,although the black build up will probably return.As far as I know a build up of carbon like you have is normal.

·
Registered
973 Posts
Well,.......
You Could have Cleaned the combustion chambers Before you tore it down,......
Or,.....
You can Still do it the Easy Way,...... After you reassemble it.......

If you were to reassemble the motor, cleaning the gasket surfaces as required,....
Then Fire it Up,+ run it til it reaches operating Temp......

If you Rev to motor to about 1500/ 1800rpms,+ Slowly pour about 16oz. of Water straight down the Carb Throat into the motor as it's running,......
Pour it Fast enough to Labor the motor, but not so fast it Stalls.....
The Combustion Chambers will be Spotlessly Clean......... Steam Cleaned if you will...

I do this to any motor that I know needs to be torn down.......
Gas, Diesel,... It Don't Matter........

It sure beats Scraping,+ Chipping the Carbon.......Alot less chance of a Bad Scratch somewhere as well......

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.