Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I bought a salvage yard power steering box for my 1977 nova. The car came with a manual gear box. The pitman arm on the power gear box is 3/8 to 1/2 an inch longer then the original on the manual steering box. Everything seems to be visually ok. Is there any type of performance issue here? Everything seems to turn and move freely I just dont want to have a safety problem if I leave the slightly longer arm on.

·
Old(s) Fart
6,016 Posts
61bone said:
Will give you a little faster and a little heavier steering steering. As long as it will still self return to center when you loose the wheel, no problem.
No, this is a bad combination. The pitman arm and idler arm MUST be the same length. You can't change one without the other. Either change the idler arm to match your pitman arm or put the manual pitman arm on the power box.

·
More for Less Racer
20,943 Posts
I don't believe the manual pitman arm will fit on the power box, the output shaft sizes and spline counts are different(they were on my '72 Nova). You will need to get the correct length idler arm.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.