Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Here is a place to e-coat.

Some of you have been asking about places to get your frames and bodys e-coated. Since I'm in the finishing equipment business I've been keeping an eye out for a company who is willing to do this. Most companies who have spent millions on an e-coat system either don't have the physical capacity for parts as big as a frame or body, or they can't give up the production time from their main line of business.

There is a now a company in Jackson, Mississippi called SEC who's main business is e-coating truck frames. We designed and installed their e-coat system for them last year. They have informed me they are more than willing to do e-coating for hot rodders like ourselves. They have quoted me from $750 to $950 for full body e-coating. Anyone interested should contact either of the following SEC guys:

Mike McGuffie or Clay Morgan @ 601-407-2345.

Mike and Clay work closely with another company in Jackson, Mississippi, Metal Finishing Services, who does the stripping work for them. I believe this is a chemical dip stripping similar to Redi-Strip. Anyone interested in this should contact the following Metal Finishing guy:

David Church @ 601-355-3317.

Assuming the cost of stripping here is also similar to Redi-Strip you should be able to get your full body stripped inside and out and e-coated inside and out for somewhere between $1,750 and $2,000.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re: GMW

red65mustang said:
the few that I talked to said "old metal, not in my tanks...."
I can understand that. You take your average e-coat tank large enough for a body and your talking 50,000 gallons +/-...at $20-$30/gallon. Not to many companies will put that at risk.

I'm sure these guys will be somewhat picky on how the parts they coat are preped. Thats why they work hand-in-hand with Metal Finishing.

·
Registered
3,591 Posts
Unless I'm missing something here, once the panel goes through acid treatment dipping and rinsing its as new metal as a new piece.
So it can't hurt a thing in those 50,000 gallon tanks.

Its like pissing a pint in a 18,000 gallon swimming pool. It won't change water clarity!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Well JMO, but When talking with some people about the process, they were told that when it came out of the stripping tank it wash manually washed off, or rinsed. Now they were say that the acid was still in the windshield post and such, and after a few years you would probably see the metal deteriorate from the inside out. Just wondering if that is the case or not.. any ideas?

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Streetrodfan said:
Well JMO, but When talking with some people about the process, they were told that when it came out of the stripping tank it wash manually washed off, or rinsed. Now they were say that the acid was still in the windshield post and such, and after a few years you would probably see the metal deteriorate from the inside out. Just wondering if that is the case or not.. any ideas?
The good shops will do a dip rinse as well.

BarryK said:
Unless I'm missing something here, once the panel goes through acid treatment dipping and rinsing its as new metal as a new piece.
So it can't hurt a thing in those 50,000 gallon tanks.
Thats if the pretreatment process includes dipping. Many pretreats have spray only or a combination of spray/dip. Unless the company knows how/who did the pretreat they may be reluctant to stuff your junk in their bank account. ;)

·
Registered
48 Posts
I think theres a place in Ca that does EDM coating.Ive got a little time before I tear into my car so maybe some more places will pop up.For anybody that does no what this process is,have you ever seen a new fender that had a low gloss black finish on it?I believe this is has as E caot on it,but I could be wrong.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.