Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Listen and Learn
1,809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know where I can have a set of heads flowed and about what it costs in the Western New York, Buffalo, Rochester Area? I am getting ready to port and install a larger set of valves in a set of heads and want to get a baseline of where they are at.

·
Banned
9,993 Posts
zildjian4life218 said:
Anyone know where I can have a set of heads flowed and about what it costs in the Western New York, Buffalo, Rochester Area? I am getting ready to port and install a larger set of valves in a set of heads and want to get a baseline of where they are at.
what heads?

·
Banned
9,993 Posts
Well, from someone who's btdt, you're better off saving your money for a good set of heads instead of reworking oem castings. You'll always be limited to a small runner and except for the vortecs a crappy chamber and heat crossover. You can dump an easy $250 into putting in larger valves plus 20 hours porting for heads that will be stomped on by $600 chinese recycled soda cans.

I've done too many heads the hard way and while its fun at first after a few sets it becomes a chore.

If you still want to do it you can make your own flow bench that will measure a change in depression. Its not comparable to other benches but it'll do what you're asking.

·
Listen and Learn
1,809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ap72 said:
Well, from someone who's btdt, you're better off saving your money for a good set of heads instead of reworking oem castings. You'll always be limited to a small runner and except for the vortecs a crappy chamber and heat crossover. You can dump an easy $250 into putting in larger valves plus 20 hours porting for heads that will be stomped on by $600 chinese recycled soda cans.

I've done too many heads the hard way and while its fun at first after a few sets it becomes a chore.

If you still want to do it you can make your own flow bench that will measure a change in depression. Its not comparable to other benches but it'll do what you're asking.
Yeah I realize you can only do so much to factory heads and then your still stuck with a factory casting but I really enjoy working on the heads and making them better. Are you talking about the floating differential bench that vizard talked about in his one book?

·
Banned
9,993 Posts
zildjian4life218 said:
Yeah I realize you can only do so much to factory heads and then your still stuck with a factory casting but I really enjoy working on the heads and making them better. Are you talking about the floating differential bench that vizard talked about in his one book?
Yea I gues so. You just use it to monitor the change in vacuum readings at a given valve lift. You can also caliberate it to get a good approximation of flow with a specialized orfice plate.

·
Registered
5,225 Posts
Contact your local tech school; they should be able to hook you up with someone. A lot of tech schools send kids out on internships; Im sure the auto systems teacher can point someone out. If you get REAL stuck; Ive always used Port City Machining in Oswego NY. They do a LOT of the Modifieds and Super Mods for the Oswego Speedway

·
Registered
5,225 Posts
Meh Im an idiot. I just talked to Paul over at Acme Bearings in Buffalo on the phone this AM. He builds the occasional muncie 4spd or toploader. Good guy; funny as hell. 716-885-9000 Tell him Nate from Auto Gear gave you a heads up.
Hes an old timer; he should know someone.

·
Registered
237 Posts
I don't remember exactly but it's cheap. You will get a ton of useful information. My friends have home ported heads and when they get them back some of the intakes flow 235cfm and others are at 270cfm, lol. It takes a ton of practice to get them all identical.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.