Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Where is the best place in a new gas tank to put the return line ?
I have seen that it should go in the top , I have also seen people say it should go in the bottom.
Mine is in the bottom at the back of the tank, right beside the outlet. Will that cause a problem ??

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
You know, if you look at a lot of the Factory stuff they will put it right back in at the Fuel Pump-I'm certain that is fine, but I will tell you my opinion as I am going through this same issue-

You haven't told us your combo (engine size, hp rating, fuel line sizes , Pump flow, etc.), so, I will tell you my story, and maybe it will help-

I am upgrading my system from a -6 (3/8") line to a -8 (1/2") line because of my combo (high horsepower big block with fuel injection requiring a return line)-I didn't have a return line before (I was going to run a Carb)-

My new return was designed (Rock Valley) to point straight down, right at the pickup tube-after looking at it (It sits in a well), I changed it so that it flows out at 90 degrees)-why? The Pump flows 130gph and I could see major amounts of sloshing/frothing/agitation at idle or low speeds with that idea-Pump cavatation is a bad thing-

If I had the chance on a new Tank (like you), I would put the return on top with a tube or diffuser pointed away from the pickup in the Tank, or, put the return as far away from the pickup as possible with a well for the Pickup (or Pump) to sit it to control the agitation-this is only my opinion, but I hope it helps-:pimp:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sorry about leaving that stuff out.
The car is a Triumph Spitfire.
Engine Chevy 4.3 L, around 200 HP, 3/8 fuel line, pump flow 180 L/h.

The way mine is set up now the return is on the bottom right beside the outlet. Will the fuel in the tank (around 10 gal.) cause enough pressure to force fuel into the return line stopping the fuel from returning??

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.