Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Hotrodders.com Administrator
3,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We've started planning a new site for young hotrodders, at Youngrodders.com.

I've selected Nightfire, Classix_Lover, and wheelkid as the admins for the site. We're now planning the site in a private forum at the Crankshaft Coalition.

We're open to any and all ideas, suggestions, or constructive criticism. We're currently discussing the color scheme, logo, guidelines, forum categories, and a bunch of other stuff.

If you want to lend a hand, we could use some ideas and/or some artwork for the Youngrodders logo. Nightfire has started a thread in the Hot Rod Art forum to discuss it here: Logo for Youngrodders.com.

·
Super Moderator
18,353 Posts
I think this whole Youngrodders.com thing reeks of discrimination towards us older folks................Yo-Yo...................... :D :D :D :D

Just to clarify..........what will be the age limit. Not for me, my grand daughter wants to know.......

·
Car? Truck? Who Cares
2,485 Posts
Just make sure Classix keeps us posted as well.
If he has a wild misadventure or idea----we need to hear about it :D
I guess with school and a new "job" as an admin., we don't want either of you to forget about us :D

Bryan

·
Gone fishin'
666 Posts
Sounds like ya'll are getting it underway good. Looks like a good bunch of guys to run it, just Don't let classix near the site with a screw driver, He'll break it good :D

I'll start up my photoshop and see if I can't come up with some good logos for ya'll.

Brad

·
1976 Ranchero GT
1,455 Posts
I think its good for the young rodders and the old rodders to mingle. We can learn from each other. I think you should not even post your age. Sometimes it can be misleading and people will jump to conclusions. "Why would I take this 17 year old kids advice on fixing my brake system"? or "why do I care what this 60 year old guy thinks about my wheels"!? I just don't see how your age applies to rodding. We are all here for the cars. I love this site but if its all old guys thats not cool! I also don't want any part of a site that is all young guys! BORING! Thats just my 2 cents. :rolleyes:

·
Super Moderator
18,353 Posts
Good point...But about age...being a moderator, I can pretty much tell the approximate age of a member, just by the way that type and express themselves. Not saying thats a bad thing, its just that you can tell.

I think the young guys should have a place of their own................it probably will end up being a little more liberal, language wise etc.......but, that's fine.

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
I like the mixture on hotrodders.com, with fresh eyes and old scars contributing. Still, I guess the young ones want some place where they can play their chainsaw-in-a-garbage-can music loud enough to make the root servers forget hostnames, without the old fogeys telling them to turn it down.

I'm not certain I really understand how the calendar makes much difference in rodding. The differences in age, background and experience will be smaller, which could lead to either stagnation or a runaway positive feedback effect.

·
Registered
584 Posts
WakBordr7387 said:
Sounds like ya'll are getting it underway good. Looks like a good bunch of guys to run it, just Don't let classix near the site with a screw driver, He'll break it good :D

I'll start up my photoshop and see if I can't come up with some good logos for ya'll.

Brad
I dunno Brad.. I'm very tempted to use a screwdriver in a very delicate situations. That ain't gonna break if I put pressure on a single, tiny spot! ::CEERRRAACCKKK:: :eek: :thumbup: That would be cool if you could do some photoshopping for us since I basically suck with computers. :welcome:

·
Registered
584 Posts
Bryan59EC said:
Just make sure Classix keeps us posted as well.
If he has a wild misadventure or idea----we need to hear about it :D
I guess with school and a new "job" as an admin., we don't want either of you to forget about us :D

Bryan
Don't worry, I'll still be posting here moaning about problems I'm having. Take for instance, I just got randomly sick and I've barely gotten any sleep over the past few days because I've been coughing my arse off. I need to blow off some steam.. I think I'm about to get my screwdriver and pry someone's window out "carefully." :p

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
poncho62 said:
We should join Grouch............After all...We just grew old, we never grew up............
They don't check for gray whiskers before letting you join, do they? I'm not dyeing these things; they cost too much to earn 'em.

He who dies with the most toys, wins.

BTW, random thoughts:

Young Rodders,
Your ride,
Your responsibility.

The hotrodders.com logo shows a project in a stuffed garage. That seems appropriate, to me, considering how much time and tools it takes for the build. A logo emphasizing the end goal and omitting everything it takes to get there would be less appropriate. What's the relationship of time in the shop to the E.T. on a strip, for example? (Not even remotely suggesting that dragsters are the only hotrods; it's just an extreme example).

Young folks sometimes ignore the journey and concentrate on the destination (are we there yet?). Youngrodders.com might do well to point out that if someone doesn't enjoy the journey (the build) they're not likely to make it to the destination (the eye-popping, adrenalin pumping dream machine).

·
Not Considered a Senior Member
10,722 Posts
As long as it`ll divert some of these guys that have no automotive experience and come on the site with a post that says "looking for 400 horsepower" and then when I tell them there goal isn`t realistic I`m told I`m flaming them. I knew on one of the last posts I delt on like that it was a kid with big hopes and dreams of owning a hot rod. I have nothing against having a hot rod, I just wish they would realize, your not gonna do it with no money and no experience, if you want to do it yourself you have to have experience, and if you want someone else to do it you have to have cash, and when they don`t have either one it`s not going anywhere, they don`t seem to see a couple hundred dollars isn`t going to get you 400 real horsepower with a small block. I also told him as I`ve told others, you can`t enjoy your car dead or in a wheel chair, and I say that because teen drivers seem to think they can out drive the world, like 400 horses is the easiest thing in the world to handle when they likely have never drove a car that had over 200 real horses. This kid was trying to tell me that I was saying he was going to get in it and go crazy but he would be careful, horsepower under the foot and 95% of teen drivers go crazy, I guess he didn`t think I was a teen ager once myself as was every other person on this site. Lastly, I have a 19 year old nephew, and he`s been exposed to automotive his whole life through his father and myself and he does his own work, the only thing holding him back is lack of cash, but he also knows by seeing it first hand what power can do, he seen it many times when we would take him to the drag races with us, that power don`t care your age or how good a driver you are, it can still get away from you, and it can put you in a casket or a wheel chair.

·
Race The Truck
675 Posts
Your looking at a lot different rodder with this site. The younger guy like my son see all the cool stuff but don't really care about getting there hands real dirty. Come on with chips laptops and the latest bolt on power part which is ready to go right out of the box. What is there to think about, What would be there dream car a old car to them is a 90's model car or truck. heck I'm stuck in the 60's 70's and 80,s that what I was around. Most kids can't afford cars or trucks like we could or the gas to drive one. Time are changing I'm afraid old time rodding will be a thing of the past welding cutting up a 90's or 2000's car or truck I just don't see it happening. Just a matter of time before all the old Iron will be gone then what? A world of reproduction cars and trucks and parts ready to go just open the big box like Lego's and bolt it all together and there you are a hot rod builder of the future.

Craig

1 - 15 of 15 Posts