Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok i got the blazer running the other week but noticed that there was play where the drive shaft goes into the tranny ... i took it to a trans shop and asked them to figure out where the play was coming from ... they replaced the universal joint and the yoke ... but the play is still there ... they said that play going into the tranny is normal ... i personally have never had any play in any drive shaft i have ever wiggled ... so far they have given me the run around and tried to charge me for numerous things that weren't supposed to be done while it was there including a speed sensor that they broke (i refused to pay for it since it was fine when it went there ... the mechanic that had it in they bay finally told the owner that he broke it so the owner took the price off the bill) ... my question is how much play should be there if any ... cause the last thing i am gonna do is pay for junk that wasn't broken in the first place

·
http://www.warsprints.com
2,024 Posts
rwlcsorw said:
ok i got the blazer running the other week but noticed that there was play where the drive shaft goes into the tranny ... i took it to a trans shop and asked them to figure out where the play was coming from ... they replaced the universal joint and the yoke ... but the play is still there ... they said that play going into the tranny is normal ... i personally have never had any play in any drive shaft i have ever wiggled ... so far they have given me the run around and tried to charge me for numerous things that weren't supposed to be done while it was there including a speed sensor that they broke (i refused to pay for it since it was fine when it went there ... the mechanic that had it in they bay finally told the owner that he broke it so the owner took the price off the bill) ... my question is how much play should be there if any ... cause the last thing i am gonna do is pay for junk that wasn't broken in the first place
Is it the original driveshaft? If there is excessive play, it may be the bearings in the tail shaft. Have you lifted the blazer? How far does the yoke go into the tranny? Need more info.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
it is the original drive shaft for the 700 r4 but i cut off about an inch when i lowered it .... it was never raised at all just dropped it 3 inches in the front and rear cause it just sat too high ... and the yoke goes into the tranny about 5-6 inches ... would the bushing being worn cause this or is it normal even with a new bushing? ...

·
Banned
1,971 Posts
side to side play or what?

what kind of play exactly ?

if side to side at the trans output shaft then its the trans output shaft bushing thats worn out and this is a common occurance especially on the turbo trannies

700r4 and th350 most commonly

ivehad many this way and when it gets excessive it will just cause leaking seal there

not a huge issue but its not a big deal to replace either it is pressed into the tailshaft housing in which is removable and its brass bronze material

if you want a pic of a worn out one i have a 700r4 output housing laying around with a worn out bushing in it so you can see

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
fast68 said:
side to side play or what?

what kind of play exactly ?

if side to side at the trans output shaft then its the trans output shaft bushing thats worn out and this is a common occurance especially on the turbo trannies

700r4 and th350 most commonly

ivehad many this way and when it gets excessive it will just cause leaking seal there

not a huge issue but its not a big deal to replace either it is pressed into the tailshaft housing in which is removable and its brass bronze material

if you want a pic of a worn out one i have a 700r4 output housing laying around with a worn out bushing in it so you can see
yeah it is side to side ... i was thinking it was the tail shaft bushing but wanted others opinions ... if you don't mind sending me the pic i would really appreciate it ... im gonna start working on it again in a bit after i eat some supper

·
Registered
6,009 Posts
It could also be that you cut the driveshaft too short. With weight on the suspension you should be able to slide the yoke in about 3/4". Put the rear end on jack stands and unbolt the rear of the driveshaft, see how far the yoke will slide into the trans.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.