Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am taking the carrier out of my truck and replacing it with another posi carrier.

We are talking about a G80 Eaton GovLock stock posi 8.5" ring gear 30 spline axles, 1997 Vortec 350 auto 2wd. This is teh rear that is designed to NOT apply over 20 mph and applies when 100 rpm of difference is detected between the 2 wheels.

I have taken a low mileage G80 differential out of 1 case and plan on installing it in the case in my truck.

I pulled the cross pin that rides through teh spider gears, and removed the spider gears. I am now trying to realign the spider gears to allow the cross pin to go through the spider gears again, but we cant get it to line up.
I have done this many times with an open differential and I thought I had done this with a G80 but I never have had this much trouble.

Is there a trick to reinstalling the cross pin?

We get 1 spider gear in, then rotate that gears till it wont go any furthur, then we install the 2nd spider gear, but cannot get enough clearance to get the 2nd spider gear to mesh with the side gear in such a way that the 2nd spider gear is directly across from the 1st spider gear so we can push the cross pin through.

We are at the point of trying to figure out a way of removing the centrifugal apply mechanism. There is the part that spins and flies open to apply the spoon shaped piece that applies the clutches.

Can anyone help, I haver taken 2 of these G80's apart today and yesterday, but cant seem to get them together again.
This is very frustrating.

thanks guys, this is day 2 on this problem.

peace
Paul

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Dont worry guys, I found out the only reason we were able to disassemble the old differential was because a part was broken. In order to install my new parts, I needed a puiller to pull out a party of the ratchetting system of the Eaton G80 posi.
Good thing I have a couple 10 bolt difs. in the garage.

I am installing a different low mileage G80 dif. tom. I scored it for $100, they are 3.42's.
I am going to save up for a Truetrac or a 9.5" 14 bolt SF rear.

thanks anyways
peace
Hog

1 - 2 of 2 Posts