Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Wilke
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think I have a 1968 327 cid 2 barrel engine. The casting number is 3914638, which confirms this. But the stamped suffix code is T070IDO, which I cannot find anywhere. I searched the Internet high and low. I know it is a Tonawanda engine, and it still has that decal, but the date does not make sense 070? I cannot find the IDO suffix code anywhere either.
Please help if you can.
Thanks. [email protected]

·
Registered
7,345 Posts
Doc here, :pimp:

Found this on the site provided by Kringold.. :thumbup:

DO 1968 307 manual trans. - 200 - full size

Could the Suffix be : 0701...DO?

That would be July 1, 1968...Tonawanda plant, 307, 200 Hp, Manual transmission, full size passenger car..

That's the read I get..

Doc :pimp:

·
Wilke
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
SBC Identification continued.

I've seen those sites, nastyz28, mortec and others. They were easy to find with a quick Google search. The casting number is 3914638, which all the sites say is 1968 327 only.

I am sure the suffix is IDO, not 1DO. I'll post a photo of it tomorrow.

I did also decode the little triangular tag on the 2 barrel Rochester carburetor, 7028101, which says: 1968 327, 210 horsepower, manual transmission, no A/C.

Because of that and the casting number, I'm fairly sure it's a 327 and not 307. But I sure want to know what info the IDO code contains.
BTW, this isn't the first suffix code I've ever found that wasn't listed on any of the sites.

I'll keep looking and keep you posted if I learn anything. Thanks!

·
Wilke
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
More Larnin' on the SBC.

I was right...and wrong. It DOES say IDO, but the Mortec site says: "In the 50's and 60's, Chevy used a Roman numeral ' I ' for the number ' 1 ' in these engine assembly dates. Don't mistake this for a capitol letter ' I '."

So my date indeed must be July 1. The suffix is then 'DO', which indicates 307, BUT, the casting number is clearly 3914638, which says 327 only, on both Mortec and NastyZ28.

So the mystery continues....

·
ATA Welding Technology
308 Posts
wilke said:
I've seen those sites, nastyz28, mortec and others. They were easy to find with a quick Google search. The casting number is 3914638, which all the sites say is 1968 327 only.
My book says;
3914638 = 1968/327/2 main bearings/truck. But check this
3914636 = 1968/307/2 main bearings
I think that would get me out looking at that casting number again, after what Doc said.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Sorry Wilke but i have to agree with Doc on this one. Every small block engine code i have seen has One(1) letter then six(6)numbers followed by 1,2 or three letters. ;)

·
Wilke
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The Verdict is in.

Lacking any other way to tell, I pulled the head off and measured the bore with a dial caliper. It's a 307. The casting number is 3914638 for sure, so the webpages are wrong, or at least incomplete. I'll submit this new info to two of them and possibly the pages will get updated. Thanks for your help guys.

·
Registered
7,345 Posts
Doc here, :pimp:

One thing you might try , is get some aluminum foil and lay it over the engine cast number..then run a pencil over it several times, and carefully remove the foil and read it..

A lot of times a 3 will look like an 8 Etc..in the right light..at angles, this can confirm what you think you see..

Doc :pimp:

·
ATA Welding Technology
308 Posts
wilke said:
Lacking any other way to tell, I pulled the head off and measured the bore with a dial caliper. It's a 307. The casting number is 3914638 for sure, so the webpages are wrong, or at least incomplete. I'll submit this new info to two of them and possibly the pages will get updated. Thanks for your help guys.
If the web pages are wrong, then my "Chevy Parts Interchange Manual" is wrong too.

·
A Half Crippled Old SOB....
807 Posts
here's the casting number in question(3914638), BUT when we measured the bore, it was apparent that the block is a 307 not a 327.....joe

Attachments

·
Certified Lead Foot
518 Posts
68 was the first year for the 307.

The 283 was not offered in 68 too.

It should prove to be a large journal block and a cast crank.

·
8,453 Posts
3914638 controversy - update

I know this is an old tread but the issue addressed here was never resolved. I just tore into the SBC core engine I got for my grandson's '59 El Camino and here is what I found;

- It has the casting number 3914638 which most reverences list as a 1968-69 327.

- It definitely measures out to be a 307, not a 327.

- Here is a site that appears to ID the engine properly as a 307 does not cross-reference the number to a 327.

- Most references are wrong on this engine number.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Really Really Really OLD reply

I have the same issue, I have a block with casting number 3914638 DEFINITELY an 8 on mine as well. The block stamping is T0322DF which also identifies it as a 307 Tonawanda engine block that went into a '68 Chevy (18Zxxxxxx stamped next to the other stamp). So there at least two blocks with the same incorrect(?) casting.

·
Registered
20 Posts
The casting numbers don't mean anything to me but I never knew of a 327 with a 2 bbl carb other than maybe an truck engine. 1968 was the first year for the 307, I'm guessing that is what you got. The 4th digit on the early carbs was the year.

·
WFO
5,030 Posts
Brass Monkey said:
The casting numbers don't mean anything to me but I never knew of a 327 with a 2 bbl carb other than maybe an truck engine. 1968 was the first year for the 307, I'm guessing that is what you got. The 4th digit on the early carbs was the year.
Casting numbers for 2 bbl 327/210 HP intake, used towards the end of the 327 production:

·
Registered
19 Posts
I agree that it's probably a 307, just thought it was interesting that most sites list that casting number as a 327. I'm not going to pull it apart to check, just thought I should post so the person who started this thread would know he wasn't the only one to run into this!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts