Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I bought my 1941 Chevy 2 door from an old farmer/mild car enthusiast. And his report was it was sitting on a chevelle frame w/ posi rearend... How ever after pulling the body off, I noticed the frame was chopped and square tube frame rails were installed behind the front cradle back to the arches of stock frame...(this was done very well I might add) How ever can find nothing on the internet identifying the rear end... Casting # 3969341NF Rear end code CMY 0908 G1 so if any one can help me I would deeply appreciate it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That was my first thought...But werent the shocks on the chevelle staggard to offset the torque? And the upper trailing arms mounted to the center of the rear end housing not the tubes??? The casting number is commonly found in 70 camaro's but this is not a camaro spring and rearend mounting system... So any help or links to more info would help...

Thanks

·
More for Less Racer
20,935 Posts
What you are looking at is an Impala/Caprice/Bel Air rear clip from '65 to about 1970. Most of these cars have only three trailing arms with a panhard bar locating side to side movement, but the heavy duty option and BBC cars got a forth link (drivers side upper) as in your picture. Upper link mounts are welded on the tube, with the Chevelle they are cast onto the top of the iron centersection.

It is a 12-bolt rear, look for a plastic tag around the fill plug for an indicator of having a positraction differentail, or look inside.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ok I have now confused my self to the max... I pulled the break drums to free the axles and spun the input shaft on the rear end and both axles spin forward at the same time... POSI??? :confused: I then pulled the 12 bolts out of the rear end cover and on the ring gear I found these numbers= 1 GM 3871041 16 41 9 69. No other numbers were visible. Can anyone tell me what this means.

·
More for Less Racer
20,935 Posts
The 16 and 41 are the pinion and ring tooth counts, looks like you have a 2 series rear and those #'s come out to 2.56 gears, which is likely in a big car back then. the rear probably cam fron a BBC towing package station wagon. 9 69 is likely the date code- Sept 1969.

The carrier is an open version, you don't have a positraction rear, but the 4 arm Impala 12-bolt is fairly rare in todays world. at least it is a 12 and not a 10-bolt. :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.