Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I was working at a church, cutting their grass and etc... now they have come to me because their lawnmower is not working. They was something is bent on it, some pole or what ever, but thats my problem if i did it. This is what gets me. I KNOW i did not put any thing into the gas tank, but they think i but a chainsaw gas/oil mix into the gas tank. I dont know how it got there, but im afraid i will have to pay for it. Could anyone tell me what is needed to be done to fix this and price range? Could i keep running it with regular gas until it is all out the system? It is a Husqvarna Riding Mower, similar to the YTH2148. I know this is a car forum, but im in desperate need of help and i bet car lovers would know what to do! please help!

again, please help. or send me the screen name of someone who might know and is online right now

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
First off, in my past experience with any lawn equipment, if you ran gas/oil mix in the tank, it would more than likely smoke to high heaven when running. Did it do that? Second, did you check out the mower for damage before using it? I'm trying to grow my own lawncare business and have learned that you really can't trust anyone out there for use of their equipment or trust them to use yours without breaking it. Sadly, you may be getting blamed for something someone else broke. That happens, sorry to say it.

I'm not sure that we have enough details to really help just yet either. Please note I am trying to be helpful and not cut you down or anything. Talk tone and attitude are very hard to convey through typing. We are going to need more information here though.

Does it run right now? If not, does it spin over and make any effort to start? Have you got spark? Gasoline in the tank? A bent rod or shaft should not affect whether or not it starts (unless it's a connecting rod). Is there SAE30 motor oil in the engine? Before panicking over price, start checking out the mower yourself. It might be something as simple as a dead battery or a loose connection somewhere.

Keep your head up. We'll try to help you out.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ok, thanks a lot. i just got a phone call from a very angry guy and he didnt tell me much about it at all. i cant get to the church to check it out myself, but im going to call someone later to find out more. i will post again later. im not really worried about the bent thing. the guy said that was easy to replace...

P.S. what would SAE30 oil do if it was in there? he said it was chainsaw oil, so ill find out if it was a special type or regular oil. thanks a lot again.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
well, SAE30 is just the right engine oil for in the crankcase...like 5w 30 for a car engine. I should have been a little clearer on that. Sorry about that. Did you add any oil to it? My Murrary ran like crap on 50/50 mix for the weed eater. And that was a small dose. 1/4 tank or less in a push mower. Smoked pretty bad till it burned that out. I wouldn't panic too much yet if I were you.

·
Kenneth Howard hates you...
572 Posts
Uh first of all....Sounds like some beliefs that your church has there....Accuse someone first and not even be 100% sure it was them:nono: Secondly...how would the 'angry man' know that it was chainsaw oil in the gas? Did he put it in there and now trying to blame someone else for his mistake? Sounds like he put the wrong thing in the mower, screwed it up, got blamed for it, and is now saying it was your fault since you don't work there.
I would tell him that You honestly didn't do it, and if he is wrongly accusing you, "someone" from the church would make sure that he got his payback. Make him show you 100% proof that it was you that screwed up the mower....and you will replace it.
Later,
WEIMER

·
Tazz
2,048 Posts
Broken mower...who done it??

You Open up a can of worms when you use someone elses equitment and it turns up broken. If it ran when you put it away say so and stand up for yourself buy saying what did or din't happen while you were using it. If you cut the lawn and didn't put any oil or gas in the mower then say so and let the people blaming you figure out what is wrong with their mower. I wouldn't even offer to find out what's wrong if I didn't break it to begine with.

Tazz

Rat Rods Rule!

·
Be the MIRACLE!
363 Posts
If that's the way they're going to treat free help. I don't think I'd volunteer the next time. I mean c'mon church members, where's the love? After all your only a kid. :confused:

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
update....i talked to someone from the church...and they cooled down some, it was just they just bought this mower. They said they dont care about the bent thing, since it costs like $5 to replace, and i said i would pay for it. The oil and gas thing is ok now too, since some guy showed up today and told them he had accidently done it thursday and didnt tell anyone.

thanks a lot everyone for your help tho.

·
Registered
427 Posts
It would be a frosty Friday in the land down under
(I'm not talking about Australia because you can't say the H word)
before I ever did anything for that Church again.

·
Chopper Builder o<>\o
171 Posts
quote some scriptures in the bible like:

"Let him who is without sin cast the first stone" prepare to duck just in case.

Here's a really good one that will make them think.

"Bearing with one another, and forgiving one another, if anyone has a complaint against another; even as Christ forgave you, so you also must do." Colossians 3:13

·
Premium Member
3,519 Posts
not very "christian" of them, now is it? After all this is said and done you're the one to be made feel bad for this crap? How much are you getting paid for doing ALL THAT WORK on THEIR property? If you're getting paid ANYTHING AT ALL I'm sure its a FRACTION of what they would pay in the private sector. If that's how they're going to treat you, I'd tell them they can find sombody else to do the work in the future. WOuldn't wait around for that crap to happen again...

K:rolleyes:

·
Start those projects someday
556 Posts
I always use fresh 2 stroke gas in my chainsaws. If the gas is more than a few months old I pour in in my mowers or the old jeep and mix up a new gallon of 2 stroke fuel for my 2 stroke equipment. It will not affect the 4 stroke engine in any way, just may smoke a little.
As far as the church goes, sorry about that insensitive hothead, but we're all a work in progress. I'm just glad to see a 15 year old with a work ethic! It's hard to find young people that want to work at that age. Keep up the good work kmr.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts