Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Friend has a V6 with a distributorless ignition system (coil pack). The engine has been knocking at higher rpms. We've been all over the place trying to find the problem. Tonight, we noticed that EVERY spark plug wire is arcing to the engine/intake/or another wire close to it. While watching two wires in the dark with the engine running, you can see bright blue glow between the entire length of wires when they are 1cm or less apart. So we changed wires, 4 times, from 3 different places. Set on there now are the dealership recomended wires bought from the dealer. I've never seen brand new wires arc like this. Right though the shielding, nothing is exposed. Whats goin on?? Anybody ever seen this before?

·
Not Considered a Senior Member
10,722 Posts
Yes, this has been a problem for many years and usually, spiral core spark plug wires eliminate the problem. But it`s still important to route them correctly in order to keep them far enough apart to help keep it under control.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Really... hmm... cant believe I've never heard about it before... or maybe i have and im just not remembering...

Problem is, only way to route the wires is right next to each other. about 1-2cm apart

·
Registered
724 Posts
Replace the leads they probably have damaged insulation also check and regap the spark plugs, to large a gap can cause the coil voltage to go high enough to increase the chance of spark jump

·
Shop Owner And Troll Hunter
2,643 Posts
It's a common problem when the wires are to close together and you have something causing a resistance, such as bad plugs or the wrong gap.

Troy

69 SS/RS full custom Camaro 98 ISCA Grand Champion
69 SS/RS BB Camaro wifes driver
66 Elcamino 350/all dz parts,ac,windows,loaded,my driver
69 SS Chevelle BB conv.fresh frame off
26 T sedan street rod

·
The Smell of Nitro in the morn
2,411 Posts
I had 3 sets of accell 300+ wires in less than 2 years go bad, plus foul the plugs by jumping spark from all over each wire.
I now have mallorys for a year without any problem.
Its not the setup, just junk wires.
my $200. worth of bad wire of opinion.

·
Premium Member
3,519 Posts
Oh I've seen them arc! 1BAD told me how to wait till its dark and mist some water over the wires.

Damned supersucker accel wires looked like 4th of july under there.

Super 40 morosos now, thing *'s and gets.

K

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
huh...

Alright, well, I'll go see him tomorrow and take out the plugs check em out and re-gap them and see what happens then...

Never really seen new wires arc without some kind of break in the insulation... Learning something everyday.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Theres a grounding strap that goes directly to one of the bolts for the coil pack. Its been checked and rechecked... seems fine.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts