Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Getting ready to plumb the brakes on my car and could use some help planning out what i need and how to do it. The setup I have is disc front and drum rear with a master cylinder and power booster under the floor (corvette i think). So what size brake line and which residual valves should I use? Any tips would be awesome, thanks

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok thanks I checked that site out a little, anybody know what line size to use? Am I better off buying a kit or just going to NAPA or something and picking up the fittings I need and a roll of line. Thanks

·
Registered
650 Posts
If someone makes a kit for your setup, Id buy it. Im not against bending tube(Im a pipefitter), its the damn double flare you have to form. Dont bother with the cheap tubing flare kits at the local auto parts stores, youre gonna need a professional grade kit. And if youre planning on using stainless, its gonna be doublely hard. Id rather spend time bending and plumbing fuel systems than make double flares. Just my .15

I just bought brake and fuel lines, used 2 different companies, Classic Tube and Right Stuff Detailing(order Right stuff thru Summit for better price).

Excellent looking parts, and Classic even custom bent my fuel lines in 1/2 instead of the stock 3/8.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok thanks, it has been so long since i bought the booster and master cylinder setup that I cant even remember what kind of car the master cylinder is from. For some reason I thought it was the old corvette style but since my setup is disc/drum maybe it was from a mustang? Is there a quick way to tell which master it is? Would I have a problem running the rear drum brakes along with a master cylinder that is meant for 4 wheel disc brakes? Thanks

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Ok thanks, it has been so long since i bought the booster and master cylinder setup that I cant even remember what kind of car the master cylinder is from. For some reason I thought it was the old corvette style but since my setup is disc/drum maybe it was from a mustang? Is there a quick way to tell which master it is? Would I have a problem running the rear drum brakes along with a master cylinder that is meant for 4 wheel disc brakes? Thanks
A MC for disc/drum will have different size resivrors for fluid.
Go back to mp brakes and order their catalog . The best 5 bucks u can spend. They will show you exactly what to do/need.
http://www.mpbrakes.com/uploads/documents/discdrumdiagram.pdf
This is just 1 of their many helpful pages of info for you.
Search under tech support for more articles. You can also call for tech suppoert:welcome:

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
You don't say what kind of car you are working on. If it is a GM the size of the piston on the master cylinder matters. On a manual disc/drum system it uses the 1" piston. On power assist it uses a 1 1/8 piston. Make sure you get the right proportioning valve for disc/drum setup not disc/disc. If there is a line kit for your car it would save time and labor. There are so many different size fittings used. Check out some of the companies mentioned in prior post. I have used Classic Performance Disc Brake, Steering and Suspension Products for classic Chevy and Ford cars and trucks for my 1967 Camaro disc conversion and my nephew just used Inline Tube Inline tube The brake plumbing experts for his 1972 Trans Am with all aftermarket brakes.

·
Registered
5,784 Posts
Napa !

When My son did the brakes on his 22 Dodge lakester He used String and masking tape to do the layout and labeled each string. then took the old caliper hoses and the Master cylinder to the Local Napa store. The owner knew where all the fittings were, how to find longer caliper hoses. and I think he only spent $ 30 for everything, When I Did My first T bucket I hauled it on a trailer to a shop that did Hydralic systems, They sorted out all the pieces I needed, When I built a Corvair powered dunebuggy with Vair rear sus parts I had the Hyd shop Make a line that was VW on one end and Corvair on the other, easier than finding adaptor fittings.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.