Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3,925 Posts
What are you going to be doing, buffing out a new paint job, buffing wax, etc?

My personal feeling is that style of buffer (the HF unit you linked) is much harder to control than the "angle grinder" style. If you are going to be doing a lot of paint finishing and/or heavy duty detail work on an existing paint job, I think it would be worth it to invest in the next level of buffer...like the Porter Cable 7424. This gets you into the $130 range but I was just blown away my how good a job this unit does and how well you can control what the buffer is doing.

Dewey

·
Shop Owner And Troll Hunter
2,643 Posts
The wool pads are very aggressive, even in experienced hands they can do a lot of damage. Most of the leading polishes and waxes are designed to be used with foam pads, they leave less swirls and require less steps to get that show shine. The terry cloth polishers are a big joke.

Troy

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
babe_n_indy said:
We use a Sear's Orbital Buffer with a terry cloth bonnet. What are you planning to use a buffer on?

I just painted it yesterday..

now what?? ;)

Yea this is my first..

got a few runs and it's a bit thin in places but oh well, I'm happy and I know what to do better next time.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
LOL yea, I like the picture - wish it looked that good close up..

I got some "dust" stuff to sand out, and a few runs. All in all I can't complain. I'd probably be mad if I paid for it but I'm just downright tickled since I did it. I also know that if there are any problems I can redo them :)

·
Registered
168 Posts
I've used one of those for years thinking I was doing a good job , then I tried a friends variable speed DeWalt and it is absolutely awesome , I cant believe I was using one of those old hard to keep at a decent speed tirds . My end result is even a whole lot nicer , I'll never go back.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Brandon, it sure looks good from my seat. And for your first time, I think you've done a great job. I couldn't have done better myself! I'd be mighty proud!

troy-curt said:
The wool pads are very aggressive, even in experienced hands they can do a lot of damage. Most of the leading polishes and waxes are designed to be used with foam pads, they leave less swirls and require less steps to get that show shine. The terry cloth polishers are a big joke.

Troy
If you use the right product, you'll never have swirl marks! And, that show shine comes right out in ONE STEP, not multiple steps, using the right product.

I don't use waxes or polishes simply for that fact. I want a ONE STEP PROCESS where I just wipe it on, no elbow grease needed, and NEVER ANY SWIRL MARKS! Waxes and polishes are "old age". There are wonderful "new age" technology out there.

And, the terry cloth towels are a great asset. They'll never scratch or leave swirl marks, either.

---------------- Rebecca

·
Registered
3 Posts
buffer

If your not using the buffer on a daily basis harbour freight has variable speed buffers for around $50.00 I've used mine on about a dozen projects without any problems. If your new too the buffing i would recommend using foam pads 3m perfect-it they are much more forgiving and give great results the key is careful colorsanding and paitence good luck

1 - 15 of 15 Posts