Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got a question regarding piston superiority. Looking for opinions on what piston manufacturer is the best regarding piston quality, reliability and performance. For simplicity sakes the application is a SBC. Please justify your choice.

·
Not Considered a Senior Member
10,722 Posts
I like speed pro hypers. The coated skirt jobs. I`ve used them in several builds and had very good service. There isn`t any pacific ring gaps that have to be met either. I would recommend checking the tops for sharp edges and smoothing them out with sand paper.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey thanks for the post. I was assuming forged would be the popular choice but you recommend the hypers, interesting. My last set of KB hypers exploded the heads off the pistons, but I learned soon after that KB hypers are total garbage and others have had this happen to them as well (timing was slightly advanced but the pistons don't tolerate ANY ping). I sha'll take a look at Speed Pro hypers, they seem to have a better reputation than KB.

·
More for Less Racer
20,945 Posts
Another KB "customer" here, I've seen their "explosive" results too :rolleyes: . You couldn't give me a truckload of any company's hyper pistons for anything over mild stock type rebuilds. Modern forged pistons all the way, pick a company and intended purpose. Speed-Pro/TRW, KB Forged Head Relief, or Probe for moderately priced. Trying to save a couple hundred dollars in one of the most critical spots of a $3500(or more) build is not the smart thing to do.

·
Hotrodders.com Moderator
2,098 Posts
For high end racing builds I'm in the JE or CP camp. Both are excellent quality with a reputation for having some of the flattest ring lands in the business. But like anything in this world quality comes with a price. For custom stuff Diamond is my vendor of choice. For run of the mill street/strip or stock builds I've had good luck with Speed Pro's.

·
Hotrodders.com Moderator
2,783 Posts
pistons

For anything custom it's Diamond pistons. I love the Mahle hypers and forged.
I also use a bunch of Probe pistons. IMO for the money they are the best deal going for a forged mid level pistons.

I have maybe 25 or 30 engines with the KB hypers in them and not one failure that you always hear about. The deal with those pistons is that you need to read the instructions and follow them. I even had 2 customers spray them, no issues, but i had the set-up correct.

Keith

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.