Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,097 Posts
I usually go to the hardware store and buy some standard nuts to use as mockups. They are cheaper than nylocks and are easier to take on and off during mockup asembly.

If you have run those nylocks on and off more than a couple of times, they need to be relaced with fresh ones. I always do my final assembly with new nylocks and some red loctite on critical assemblies.

Mikey

·
Premium Member
4,097 Posts
In my A&P Mechanics General handbook, (DOT/FAA standard),it calls the locking nut an "elastic stop nut" with a fiber insert.

It does not make any mention of the nylon type. I know the nylon type has no fibers in it. I have seen the fiber type and the insert looks like FRP.

I'd buy new ones.

Mikey

·
Registered
155 Posts
Nylon locking devices are NOT allowed on commercial or military aircraft equipment, lock washers, deformed thread type locking devices, safety wire are OK and avoid locktite if possible, messy in the field and amount used not specified. Nylon "takes a set" and after thermal cycling will eventually come loose. It was a no no at Honeywell, Allied Signal, Boeing, etc. But on auto's, go for it. I don't like to use them on my projects. They do come with many aftermarket parts I buy.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.