Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
anybody have any experience with the poly gas tanks? I've just bought a rod and it has one in it and I've never seen one before.

·
Registered
7,337 Posts
yep. and being a lot cheaper than steel, they work in a lot of budget situations. Speedway sells them starting at $69, can't beat that. shure there black, get a little adhesion promoter and paint them body color.

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
You might want to read http://consumerlawpage.com/article/gm-exploding-tank.shtml which gives a lot of information about placement of gas tanks.

Here are a couple of interesting quotes from the article:

In October, 1969, "Crash Survival:Help from the Tracks" in Nelson, Automotive Industries, Vol. 141, No. 7, noted that for the 1965 Indianapolis 500 race

" . . . all competing cars were equipped with fuel cells. These bladders are made of tough, rubberized fabric stuffed with foam. * * * Impact resistance fuel cells remained intact and eliminated the threat of fire. * * * NASCAR has required the fuel cells since 1966, USAC made them mandatory in 1965."
The 18th Stapp Car Conference concluded that "increasing the thickness of the tank provides a direct approach to improved fuel integrity. Research has shown that plastic tanks of high-density poly-ethylene have about the same dynamic rupture resistance as conventionally constructed metal fuel tanks."

·
Premium Member
4,097 Posts
Some of the earlier polyethelene tanks had molded in aluminum threaded inserts IN THE BOTTOM of the tank. (yes, bad news)
They were prone to leak. I saw the problem on a set of "Tanks" brand model A saddle tanks. (They fit under the splash aprons) Tanks has since changed the location and type of insert in those tanks.

I installed a poly tank in a 34 coupe one time that had a stock location filler neck. No matter how we moved that tank around on the frame the filler neck looked wrong. It protruded about 2" past the fuel tank cover and was on a weird angle. I cut the filler neck off and made a steel one that was clamped in the stub of the old filler neck. What a PITA as the poly tank has a very inconsistant thickness in the filler neck area. I was filing on that stub for a long time to get it to seal right. :pain:

Also, they are uglier than a bucket full of frogs.
The stock replacement types usually have bumps and hollows (for molded in baffles and reinforcement) that just don't look right under a nice car.

Other than that, they are A-OK in my book :thumbup:

Later, mikey

·
Registered
5,391 Posts
I considered the Tanks poly under splash shield pieces on my '31A, but they would have become the lowest point under the car. I was concerned with snagging one, tearing it open and then having a passenger roast (me) :sweat: . Maybe its' never happened, but I didn't want to become the anti splash shield gas tank poster boy. They also fill very slowly and only hold 6-7 gallons each and most everyone that has them has discolored paint around the fill neck from drips or fumes
Dave

1 - 8 of 8 Posts