Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7,516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My boat is a 1966 runabout with an acrylic windshield that is cracked. Previous owner used clear caulk to glue it togther which kinda didn't really do much. Now that I have restored the boat, I want to put a new peice of acrylic or polycarbonate in it.

Is there any way I can bend this without heat? or do heat afterwards to relax it?

I know polycarbonate is somewhat popular now with chop tops and always has been in race cars

Here is a picture to show what I'm working with, from when it was almost fully restored

Attachments

·
More for Less Racer
20,931 Posts
For that kind of bending, you're going to have to heat it.
Material needs to be Lexan, not plain acrylic sheet.

You can get it tinted, a light tint might be really nice for glare on the water.

·
Registered
2,265 Posts
For that kind of bending, you're going to have to heat it.
Material needs to be Lexan, not plain acrylic sheet.

You can get it tinted, a light tint might be really nice for glare on the water.
Sorry , that's just not true , while lexan is one company's brand name for a polycarbonate product ,windshields can be made of either acrylic or poly carbonate sheet stock , both products are made by different companies. Try contacting a plastics outlet like piedmont plastics , you'll find there are many options .
Light Product Font Line Screenshot

·
Registered
7,516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I contacted the local glass shop that I use. I wasn't sure if they did anything with any kind of plastic window, but they said they did and have the tools and products to build one for me. Told me to drop it off for a quote, so I'm probably pulling it off the boat this weekend.

FWIW, The Plastics Guy and UDP plastics both manufacture acrylic boat windshields to custom specs. But it would cost about $700 with shipping

1 - 5 of 5 Posts