Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody know how many quarts of oil a Pontiac 389 is supposed to take? No modifications done.
Thanks!

·
Registered
453 Posts
A 389 with stock pan will hold 5 quarts of oil. You can safely go with 6 quarts in 400's and 455's but stay at 5 in the 389.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Don't want to ask a stupid question but- Why the difference in capacities for the 389 and the 400 and up? As I understand the Poncho block it's the same pan, what am I missing thinking about that would jstify the added quart?

·
Registered
453 Posts
yes they use the same pans but the 400,428 and 455's have better oiling systems and thus can handle the added capacity. You can open up the oil galleys and ports in the rotating assembly and lifter galleys to handle more pressure and capacity.

·
Registered
115 Posts
My brothers takes 7 quarts to get it to the full line

·
Registered
453 Posts
60Buickrod if your brother has any kind of oil pressure and is running a Pontiac he will eventually blow out the rear seal as it is a rope seal and will only stand so much pressure before it starts leaking constantly. The only way I would go more than six quarts is with a remote filter setup and oil cooler then would have to give alot of thought. Like I said I normally run 5-6 in my 400 but normally 5 with a Melling pump, stock pan and full length windage tray. If your brother has ever been in the engine and didn't put the bottom section of the dipstick tube back in through the windage tray then that could be one reason why it doesn't read right. Another could be it has the long top tube for an A/C equipped car and the short non A/C dipstick. The only other way to increase oil capacity on a Pontiac is to change to an aftermarket pan. Then you would need to run 7-8 quarts of oil.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I checked the manuals and it said it will take 6 quarts. He hasn't rebuilt it and I'm gonna check about the length of the rod when we get it back. thanx

1 - 9 of 9 Posts