Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need some guidance here. I grew up being told to throw away engine blocks that had cracks.

To make a long story short I am rebuilding my 66 GTO 389. When shaked, baked and magnufluxed there was a crack found.

The crack is off a head bolt 1" long going outward from the cylinder and coolant passages.

Was told the machine shop could cold stitch the block and we could possibly be alright. Concerns from head bolt for torque purposes. Of course no guarantee if it gave way or engine went bye bye due to the crack. We all know how that goes.

Can anyone enlighten me on Cold Stitching and if it is a good safe practice to have done on the engine block. I do not want to worry about the engine cracking more or blowing from the crack.

Alternative is different 66 389 block. Anyone got one :confused:

Comments suggestions.

Thanks

Leroy

·
Registered
534 Posts
GTOLVR said:
I need some guidance here. I grew up being told to throw away engine blocks that had cracks.

To make a long story short I am rebuilding my 66 GTO 389. When shaked, baked and magnufluxed there was a crack found.

The crack is off a head bolt 1" long going outward from the cylinder and coolant passages.

Was told the machine shop could cold stitch the block and we could possibly be alright. Concerns from head bolt for torque purposes. Of course no guarantee if it gave way or engine went bye bye due to the crack. We all know how that goes.

Can anyone enlighten me on Cold Stitching and if it is a good safe practice to have done on the engine block. I do not want to worry about the engine cracking more or blowing from the crack.

Alternative is different 66 389 block. Anyone got one :confused:

Comments suggestions.

Thanks

Leroy
I have stitched blocks before, worked pretty well. Google Lock-n-stitch, dudes in California, names Gary. They got inserts to fix the bolt holes too!
I think they have video on their website.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts