Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is a casting number question, I didn't know where to put this, so I chose here.

We found a 1965 Pontiac Catalina out in a guys field. The engine has the number 670471 stamped on the block, in the front, below the passenger side head. I looked on year one, they have a big list of the pontiac numbers, but this isn't anywhere close to any of them. Any ideas on what I'm looking at?
It has a 2 barrel carb on it, and its not a 2+2, although it does have a 4 speed.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Casting ID

Have you cleaned the block surfaces really good. If it's a 65 engine then you will probably encounter #'s like-- 9778840 (326 Engine), 9778789 (389 engine), 9778791 (421 Engine). !964 & up have the casting #'s by the distributor except the 421. Look for a 2 digit letter code like WS,WT,YR(389 engines) where you cleaned the block. Blocks 1966 & earlier had 2 freeze plugs on each side of the block & 2 motor mount holes. Starting in 65 cylinder head oiling passages were eliminated from the block. There should be a production date code on the block right where you found those #s. This will help you to ID the block year. The first letter will give you the month (i.e.- A-Jan., B-Feb, and so on). The second digit and it could be 2 will tell you the day of the month. And the last digit will give you the year. On your engine if it's a 65 it would end in 5. You should be able to find more ID #'s on the block. To the best of my knowledge casting #'s starting with 5 were from 1955 to 1963. Casting #'s starting with 9 started in 1964 to 1970 and then GM went back to casting #'s starting with 4 up to 1975.
I just don't remember casting #'s starting with 6. Wish I could be more help. :thumbup:

·
CLICK ON MY AVATAR
321 Posts
can someone tell me what the number is on the front of the block???I put my number (from the front engine boss)in a post(dont have access to the back..too tight)and no one had any idea what it was???What is this number???Where are all the places a 350 would be stamped??Thanks bm

·
CLICK ON MY AVATAR
321 Posts
here's the number from the front engine boss -1mo830 7vp.Seems like no one knows what it means.Thanks bm

1 - 7 of 7 Posts