Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What are the best most trouble free headers are out there for a 76 f/bird w/350 a/t w/dual flow/m now and would be usable for a 400 if I get a chance to upgrade ? If that's poss. LOL!!! Thanks !

·
Grumpy Old Goat Herder
1,397 Posts
A Pontiac 350 and a 400 w/D-ports would use the same header in a Firebird. I can't tell you which brand is best, but I've heard that Dougs are very good as far as fit goes.

Bill

·
Ask me about Ethanol
155 Posts
I have used the cheap Summit brand headers, they fit ok, but its hard getting the rear most bolt in the center exhaust port. Also you have to be creative when changing the oil filter. I went to a remote filter instead of trying to squeeze one past the collector.

The better the header, the better the fit. Super Comp headers fit very well, but you are paying for them.

·
Registered
878 Posts
Hooker Comps are very good for a smaller engine. If your future plans don't include a HOT 400-plus engine, they'll be fine (1 5/8"). If your plans include "expansion" for higher power numbers and "revs", SuperComps are the ticket.

Doug's are also pretty good. We prefer Hooker when they offer a header that "fits".

Regardless of brand, buy them "uncoated" and send them to a coating shop for a "thermal barrier". Much more reliable and longer-lifed than the ceramic coatings header companies apply. We use Thermal Tech in Hopewell, VA, but Swain and Jet Hot are two other names that come to mind.

Jim

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for your input, I'm in Mi.so do you have any recomendations on a shop in this area to get the coating done or should I plan on shipping them to these places you've mentioned ? If all the upgrades workout that I have planned for the car I'll keep what I have and run it for some time !!

·
Registered
650 Posts
Thanks for your input, I'm in Mi.so do you have any recomendations on a shop in this area to get the coating done or should I plan on shipping them to these places you've mentioned ? If all the upgrades workout that I have planned for the car I'll keep what I have and run it for some time !!
Where in michigan?

·
WFO
5,030 Posts
What are the best most trouble free headers are out there for a 76 f/bird w/350 a/t w/dual flow/m now and would be usable for a 400 if I get a chance to upgrade ? If that's poss. LOL!!! Thanks !
I used Headman headers to put a Pontiac 455 in a '81 Camaro. Fit perfectly. Retighten the header bolts until the gasket takes a set.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.