Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Instagram: partsretriever
1,622 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So somebody at GM decided to kick a box of alpha-bits and rename the Grand Prix after some pair of letters that looked neat together. I think it's stupid they killed a good name (Ford killed the taurus name, and even if they are ugly they were a big seller for them) liek Grand Prix, as well as the GrandAm, which was GM's best selling car if I remember right since the 90s.

At present they got the right number of cylinders, but in the concept it actually drives the right set of wheels as well! Finally, once again brakestands are possible :thumbup:

Grand Prix (really *cough* G8) concept

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Pontiac must be on it's last legs at GM with this Euro- letter number model designation business. Another Australian import like the GT-g0. Let's see, Audi A6 and A8, Pontiac G6 and G8, do we have a connection here.
Sheeeesh!

·
I get it, but not really...
60 Posts
very nice to see this design.

Pontiac is not just jacking Australia for Holden designs anymore. though they have co-developed the Zeta platform to replace the large chassis they use from Buick to Caddy.

Wisely, they are gonna be announcing soon the design for a real revived GTO!!!

they'd be dense not to, with the camaro, challenger, and next gen mustangs in the works!!!!!

Retards that gotta have new cars, will have some heavy-hitter options come 2009!

Hell... I'd maybe let a new camaro rest out in the elements in the driveway... but the classic get the garage!

I know y'all feel me on that! :D :thumbup:

·
Registered
1 Posts
The Pontiac G8 is an Aussie designed car for the U.S. market which is a mildly re-engineered (with steering LHD rather than RHD) Holden Commodore SS. They use the 270kw 6 litre Gen 4 with either a 6 speed manual or 6 speeed auto (the old 4 speed is gone!). It is actually a pretty good RWD platform, though I am surprised they didn't use the longer wheelbase version. Holden are said to be working on a wagon and ute version of the same car and it is possible you may see a G8 ute some time in the near future. They look like a modern day ElCamino. You can find quite a lot more about the Holden Commodore here!

·
Premium Member
3,519 Posts
I hesitate here... but it almost looks like the interior doesn't completely suck.

The steering wheel is about as interesting as a wall-clock, however.

K

·
Banned
1,828 Posts
ChevelleSS_LS6 said:
So somebody at GM decided to kick a box of alpha-bits and rename the Grand Prix after some pair of letters that looked neat together. I think it's stupid they killed a good name (Ford killed the taurus name, and even if they are ugly they were a big seller for them) liek Grand Prix, as well as the GrandAm, which was GM's best selling car if I remember right since the 90s.

At present they got the right number of cylinders, but in the concept it actually drives the right set of wheels as well! Finally, once again brakestands are possible :thumbup:

Grand Prix (really *cough* G8) concept
I always liked the pony and the name grand prix, OBTW saw an article ford was going to try to bring back the taurus name (roomer @ this point). I think Americans should support the American Auto industry, they are constantly COPIED and this board last time I checked was all about American iron. still waiting to see a toyota street rod, I would not be caught dead riding in one, owning building, not even on the radar. Buy American , be American....... what the hell everyone else is full of themselves and the country or group they were born or raised in. Stop committing financial suicide.

·
Registered
1 Posts
You can still buy the new Pontiac G8 guys, after all buying Australian is okay! (isn't it?) In any case we are using U.S. built engines and some other components in it! The new G8 is the LHD version of our Holden Commodore SS sedan but with Pontiac badging, some new styling cues and a higher spec. If you want more info on them click here!

You may well get a 'Ute' version soon as well (a modern day El Camino but Pontiac badged) and this platform is also the basis of the new Camaro.

·
41' Chevy Master DeLuxe Tudor
123 Posts
pepi
Buy American , be American....... what the hell everyone else is full of themselves and the country or group they were born or raised in. Stop committing financial suicide.
I agree. I support the Aftermarket Industry. I bought a 1941 Chevrolet which I am re-building myself. I purchase Parts from Small American Companies which are the backbone of this country. Everything which will go into this car will be purchased in America. Thanks to the Automotive Engineering Industry we are able to adapt these advances made into our hobby and have some pretty cool rides.

Yes, I buy and drive American too. Pontiac Bonne and a Dodge Ram in the driveway.

·
Some Punk Kid
786 Posts
For most people that don't have a lot of money and want a new car you can't beat the price and quality of japans cars that are now assembled IN America. American automakers got all crazy and started build ugly crap that doesn't last like anything of days past. ONly doing this because they car buyers will be back for the newest model in 2-4 years. They use all foreign made parts and still continue to raise the price while they spend less.
I only buy real American cars that are older than me. Which isn't that old as I am only 20 but at least I know **** wont start falling off of my cars.
Wont catch me dead in a japanese car even if its a hearse. I would rise from the dead and find a chevelle hearse. Actually it doesnt have to be a hearse just put me in the back seat.
You always look good in a bowtie

·
Instagram: partsretriever
1,622 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I didn't mind the fact that the GTO was of aussie blood, all the Holden v8/rwd stuff is pretty sweet. Especially HSV (holden special vehicle... mmm burnt rubber smell....)

Sad thing is it's loaded with luxo junk and independent rear suspension which drove the price up, and the less expensive mustang sells A LOT more units.

It'll be tempting to peel the G8 stuff off and replace it with Grand Prix. Grand Prix sounds racy, performancy. I know in HS (I'm class of 04) a Grand Prix GT was hot, and GTPs were rarely messed with even by the stupid ricer kids. So the car has a good name, just like the Grand Am did. Oh well. At least they have the mechanicals and looks on the right path. :thumbup:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts