Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i was wondering how big of a pain it would be to replace the tranny in a 94 pontiac grand am i have never done a front wheel drive tranny before. But if i can do this my grandma will give me a grand and she will be the one paying for the tranny. so i guess what im wondering is if i could get a list of a brief overview of what to do?
well i really really appreciate it.
-charlie

·
Premium Member
2,233 Posts
This can be a very difficult task if you have never changed one before.

I would say you should LOOK at how it is installed in there, and DEFINITELY get Chiltons, AND Haynes manuals for the specific car.

Then determine if it is above, at, or below your skill level and abilities.

Unless you didn't already know the engine MUST be removed with it to do it correctly (and with much less work and frustration).

·
when will it rain???
1,295 Posts
sorry to dissagree with u M&M, but i do trans R&R for a living and have pulled many of those units, both with quad 4 and v-6, and can round trip the 4T60E that it came with in less than 3 hours... mitchell gives 6. and i do not pull engine at same time.
there is no real subframe under that car, just 2 pieces that r attached to the lower control arm that r bolted to the bottom of the inner body. and no motor support is needed up top, just a floor jack, or screwstand (if ur lucky enough to have access to a lift).
bottom line is, if u dont have much or any time spent learning about tranny work, id advise u let someone who does them for a living do it... theyll thank u later for preserving the effort of having to go back and fix whatever may happen during the course of trying to do it urself... if it were a rear wheel drive, they, up till the late 90's were still pretty simple, but front wheel drives take a different approach. and with time and technology, electrical has become a big factor in todays cars, transmissions included...

in end, it could have the 125c, but R&R would still be pretty much same layout... if u have time, a camera, and lots of patience, i believe u can do it urself. the camera can/would be very bennificial to seeing what bolts go where, or how a bracket goes on or something like that. hope all works out for ya. ;)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts