Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need some help with a transmission problem.
This is in a 95 bonneville with 185000 miles on it. The transmission acts like it starts out in second or maybe third gear instead of first. I checked all the fuses in the car(firewall, under dash left and right side) and they were all good.
So I got a GM rebuilt transaxle and installed it in the car. Still have the same problem. Any thoughts? Questions? Criticisms?Advise?
Thanx
Jim

·
Registered
82 Posts
That is most likely a computer controlled transaxle, if it is, then the default gears for gm are 2nd and reverse.
Check for codes in the computer to find a starting point.
A lot of those GM transaxles of that time period had trouble with the Torque convertor valve, but that wouldn't cause your problem.

·
Registered
576 Posts
4t60e transmission

one thing for sure the trans wasn't the trouble... the best thing here is to get the right advise before you spend more money, tranny shop is where you need to go. although we have a bunch of people willing to help here most don't have the tools and knowledge you need to direct you in this area. scanner is the tool you need to see what the data stream which will show what the computer is telling trans to do.

·
Registered
168 Posts
with a lot of later cars, once you disconnect the battery, you have to re-train the computers to shift properly. Try disconnecting the battery then once you driveit for the first time, put it in first, then shift to second (at the appropriat rpm) and then thrid till you get into drive. see what that does...

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well
Thanx for all the help. I got smart and took it to a tranny shop.
It cost me a whopping $53 to get it fixed. That is not counting the money I wasted before it got there. A broken wire in the wiring harness to the tranny was the problem.
Live and learn.
Jim

1 - 6 of 6 Posts