Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My truck is back at the dealer having transmission problems fixed again. It is a 2000 Silverado and this is the third time. The truck is not modified in any way and has never been used to tow. I am posting this on all the boards that I frequent to see if there are others thata have had similar experiances. If you have had similar experiance please take the time to post a comment on the site that I recently set up to collect customer complaints in the hope of getting Chevy to take action to fix the problem.

http://truck.hotrodhomepage.com

If you post on other boards please post a link to this thread or to the page as I want to know if this problem is only happening to me of if it is wide spread.

·
Administrator
9,804 Posts
I own a 2000 Silverado 1500 xtra cab 2wd truck I bought new.

In the 60k miles I have owned it , I have never had a tranny issue. I have pulled a loaded car trailer many times from AZ to California and also to Texas.

I have serviced the tranny twice since new

·
Registered
724 Posts
I have a 1999 silverado 4x4 with over 100l on it I've pulled tripple axle trailers through the mountains and subjigated it to all kinds of abuse and never had moments trouble. I change the fluid every 30k. The 4l60e is a great tranny if you are having problems you either have had bad luck or your doing sommething wrong.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I don't know what has been failing, and under what circumstances. What has your dealer said to you about what has been happening to the tranny?

Without having any info whatsoever, I would be taking a shot in the dark if I posted any type of suggestions for you.

·
Administrator
9,804 Posts
As mentioned it would help to know if the same problem keeps happening and what it is.

The 4L60E has several common trouble areas

·
Registered
654 Posts
Make sure your dealer flushes the cooler with the trans flo cooling flush and flow test machine. Failing to validate cooler flow and flushing the cooler can lead to a repeat problem. This important step is often overlooked by the technician. You can verify this has been done by asking for the validation code to be listed on your repair order.

·
Registered
576 Posts
2000 trouble

had the same trouble with an 2000 camaro, after I had rebuild in my shop, return in a short period burnt 3-4 plates. after 3rd time and a different trans trouble was over although I did note on the final time that my work was finished the rear tires where bald with only 6000 miles on them??????

·
Registered
654 Posts
The transmission beginning to slip excessively and overheat has not been an issue on this transmission. Something is causing a reduction in pressure to the effected clutch pack - Either apply pressure is effected ot the seal is not sealing properly. If a transmission problem has occured in the recent past debris left in the cooler could have been reintroduced into the transmission. That is why it is critical to flush the cooler and validate the flow.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Tranny Problems

Have not had any problems out of our 99 Tahoe or Suburban and thats with us pulling car trailers. But you don't need to comply peolpe that have had problems with their transmissions. There is an 800 # in your owners manual that puts you in touch with GM customer service. If you have a problem vehicle they are usually pretty good about helping you. I assure you they won't ignore you. With a 2000 model unless you had problems with it while it was under warranty it might be an issue. Hopefully you have an extended warranty like GMPP. If you are a good customer and repeated buyer they have a good will policy to assist customers.:thumbup:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts