Hot Rod Forum banner
41 - 43 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
910 Posts
Well I'm about to upset a lot of people here. Welding sheet steel with a mig is butchery. They are NOT welds they are TACKS. A whole row of them that have to be ground down and Tacked over the missed bits. This is not welding. I know there's lots of "experts" on youtube doing this method, because it's quick and nasty. Covered up with bog. Have you ever seen the back side of these experts' welds ? NOPE. Because it's crap. Tig and Oxy-Acetylene takes practice. Both of these produce a far better result. I'm old school and every time I see this TACK method I'm upset and amused at the same time. They won't last long. Body work used to be an honourable skill. The craftsmanship was respected and appreciated by those that didn't have those skills. Now It's those that don't have those skills call themselves craftsmen. ( they are TACKERS and Cake decorators ) ;):LOL:
Gas welding is also a series of tacks, lest ye heat the panel to the point of warpage. Weld an inch or less, then hammer, then skip a space, and weld another inch or less, then hammer. The mig works a treat, when set up and used correctly. Way less hammering, and way less warpage. Also the back side ends up looking like the front side, with very little grinding needed. But, like gas welding, it takes practice. The main thing is both pieces must be CLEAN, and free of all rust and debris on both sides, before you even start.
Bodywork is still an honorable skill, usually only found in exclusive restoration/hotrod shops, the collision repair business has turned into parts changers. Swapping out parts that I would repair, and pocket the part cost. I got out of the collision repair business many years ago, got tired of fighting with insurance companies, and adjusters, outlaw parts, and what all. I'm too old for that crap. I only do a select few jobs for a select few customers. Usually something interesting like 33 pickup, Model a ford, 85 Pontiac sleeper, etc.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I like your reply Shorty. A good explanation. I'm old school and was taught to oxy weld aluminium at 14 by my dad . A true bodyman and craftsman. H showed me how to weld steel without warping too much and I enjoy the slow process. I have no doubt you could make a very lot of money teaching all these "youtube" experts how to weld properly with a mig. I'm horrified by what I've seen. EG ..fitzy bad chad. grinders not welders. :confused:

·
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser
16,430 Posts
I have to tell you guys, I had someone teach me just a few years ago the real trick to gas welding and that is DO NOT skip around to "keep it cool" as I had done for years with all welding. Nope, how about weld ONE weld across the whole thing, I don't care if it's across a roof (I did that) just one weld so the HAZ is a straight line, both sides of the weld. This will limit the warpage because it's all the same heat, and you let it cool DO NOT COOL THE WELDS just let it cool and it is friggin mind blowing how little warpage there is. I did this across the roof of my truck, blew my friggin mind! No mind you, the bead is not beautiful but I did this with one bead all the way across in one pass one single pass all the way across feeding the 023 mig wire with my left head into the weld. I did the welds you can see on the sides of the roof without any filler at all! Planished it to perfection and welded it in one pass without any filler rod at all. Brian
Hood Automotive tire Automotive design Motor vehicle Automotive exterior

41 - 43 of 43 Posts