Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am getting what seems to be a popping/knock from my carb. I am hoping that my plug wires have a problem, as I don't have a scope so I have no way to test my plug wires. The popping does sound like it is comming from the carb though. I have a 350 with a rochester quadra-jet. I am not sure if it is a bad air/fuel mix, or a vaccum leak, but it does it randomly and periodicaly, hence why I think it could also be an arc in a plug wire that I am hearing. Anyone have any ideas. Thanks again

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
will try

I will check that in the morning, but the motor has a new comp cam and lifters. I know that the valve lash is on, but how else do I check, just turn the motor over without starting it?

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ok fine

I had a pair, but I was foolish, and I gave em to a guy who said he wanted em for a motor I sold him that needed a rebuild. I have three sets of chrome valve covers and I could cut those. I will get on it in the morning first thing. lol the banging head icon was a great touch....pretty much how I felt lol :thumbup:

·
Registered
7,345 Posts
Doc here, :pimp:

Do the easy stuff first..

Pull the plug wires ONE at a time, and drive the car each time to duplicate the poping..IT WILL miss fire, and run like crap in a can..but when you hit the right cylinder plug wire it will STOP popping..that is the offender..

I'm betting you got an advance problem, either mechanical or vacuum..

second runner up is a to lean a mixture..

Also a dead cold engine WILL pop under load..be sure it is warm.

Doc :pimp:

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
ok found it

ok the popping is comming from the distributer. I have a second distributer in my garage, but when I pull up and down on the spline of the distributer I have about a 1/2' of play in the shaft. When I pull up and down quikly on the shaft I can almost replicate the noise in the distributer. Anyone know what I should do? I am guessing I need a new distributer? not sure.... Thanks

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
problem fixed

I took the vacuum off the distributer for the vaccum advance, and now the motor runs perfect. I could not find a good vacuum source for it. Is this going to kill my distributer? it seems fine for now.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
no problem

Ok I bought a new distributer and got it in, I left the vacuum advance off it and it runs perfect. I now only have one last question. I need to know what the best way to secure the shifter to the steering columb. I am not sure how to fasten it to hold, as I can put it into the columb to shift, but I can't get it to hold. If anyone has any ideas on that one, that would be great as well. Thanks.

·
Registered
71 Posts
another way to find out which cylinder isnt doing as it should is to drip a drop of water onto the header or manifold, one at a time, just past the exhaust flange. if a cylinder is firing right this drop of water will boil off very fast. if the cylinder is sick it wont. it'll just sit there saying heres the one.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.