Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going to paint a truck frame and attached parts with Por-15 and would like to know if there's a cheaper product that I could buy at Lowes or somewhere else instead of their metal prep. Looking good isn't a major concern but I just want to stop the rust.

·
True Hotrodder
1,955 Posts
Vinegar.

The easiest way I have used it is to pour it into a spray bottle and go to town. Yes the odor can be tough but it's cheap and works very well. I would take a wire brush and knock off as much loose stuff as you can before you start with the vinegar. Stuff runs about $2-2.50 a gallon. It works best if you can keep it soaking but I have found on large pieces that a good spray every hour or so works too. Once the rust is neutralized, give it a good wash with plain water then get it dried out. It will surface rust quickly in high humidity so once it's dry, you need to get started with your Por-15 which is great stuff. Just plan your work.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys. I'm going to try and do some reading on both and then decide. I've found the Ospho locally where I won't have to order it so either way shouldn't be a problem. Thanks again.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thanks guys. I'm going to try and do some reading on both and then decide. I've found the Ospho locally where I won't have to order it so either way shouldn't be a problem. Thanks again.
There is a long thread on here that is intense on Ospho pros/cons. I wrote a brief reply. If you use Ospho like I recommend it is a process to do it right that hardly anyone does. First wire wheel, scrape and get as much rust off as possible. Pressure wash or dust and wipe off and wipe down with water based surface cleaner/degreaser (not lacquer thinner). Paint with ospho. Wait 24 hours or more. Dust off any powder. PAINT WITH OSPHO AGAIN and leave on about 5 minutes or so keeping it wet. Rinse well with pressure washer and/or a scrubby pad and lots of water. Let dry
well. Briefly wipe surface with mineral spirits (paint thinner) and let dry. Wipe with adhesion enhancer (although likely isn't necessary) prior to painting. The system is a tedious pain of a process but it works.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.