Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased a gallon of this por 15 to paint my frame with, I thought it would take most of it but I put 2 coats on and only used about a quart it went on so easy I had to tell you guys. I was wondering if anyone else has used this stuff and what you thought about it

·
8,453 Posts
Great stuff. It's been discussed in depth on the board ofer the past few months. It is a water cured urethane based system. Can always tell the urethane based stuff (like POR15, Gorilla glue, etc.) 'cause it likes to be in the presence of moisture to cure and once you get it on your hands, it is nearly a permanent stain!

·
Registered
676 Posts
HEY 38: I had a water leak on my chimney where brick was pourous and getting water damage. Mixed light sand into clear POR 15, one week latter chimney fell off house!! Just kidding it sealed it up great. I bought a 4 quarts and only used two, cannot hardly wait to find something else to paint!! here kitty kitty....... DAVE

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
Por 15 makes great products. I've used it many times before and am coating the entire bottom of my '77 Trans Am and interior floors. No more rust, no more floorpan replacment :D I've used all but their marine products, they all work great.

HK

·
8,453 Posts
POR15 cures (doesn't really dry) to a surface almost as hard as the underlying steel and becomes part of the steel for all intents and purposes. Actuall works best when there is a light haze of rust on the bare steel surface. You need to throw out all your experience with paints and undercoatings. This stuff is unique.

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
cool, ummm, now i am deciding whether to sandblast my frame and powdercoat it color of my choice, i like that blue by Por 15, or just Por it, cause i think Por would be cheaper, i am not sure how good would it look, all streaky from brushing it on.

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
Por-15 doesn't streak when painted on with a brush. If you look in Kevin45's photo album his frame was painted with por-15. Por-15 can also be applied with a spray gun.

HK

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I used a brush on mine and have no visable brush marks, I like the POR15 better than powder coating because I dont have to load up my stuff and take to another place and then get robbed when I pick it back up. ;)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Just wanted to chime in here on the POR15...the stuff is absolutely amazing. Helped my ex-husband with a 71 Monte SS (454 ;) ) frame off resto a few years ago. Sandblasted the crap out of it and coated the frame w/ POR15. Used a brush and even then all I have to say is holy beautiful batman.

Additionally, we were able to restore rusted holes in the trunk w/ POR15 products and you couldn't even tell we had cut holes and refabbed any of it.

K, I'm done now, I just love this company's products and couldn't resist ;)

gg

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi I am new to this board...pretty cool!
Anyway I just had to mention that there is a better solution to the problem of rust.Por15 sometimes has poor adhestion problems.
There is a product that works better to control rust....Zero-Rust.
Works great and comes in a number of colors. Zero-Rust is designed to be applied over existing rust with minimal preparation.
Just my .02 cents. :)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hi,
Everone,I don't often speak out io favor of this type product,but Por-15 black is bar none the best product of its type on the market..I restored a 65'Ply.Satellite 12 yrs ago,it was sent to Redy-Strip before the body work was started,after all panel replacement the insides were coated w/Por-15.I've since sold the car,but saw it a year ago and checked under it and behind hidden pnls.looks like the day it rolled out of the shop back in 91'barring a wreck or fire this old Pyl. should be around in 2050 still winning show awards.In the 8 yrs I showed,it brought home 56 firsts and was driven over 16000 miles.Por-15 is OK by me !!

·
Registered
2 Posts
POR-15 worked great for me... I endorse the entire product line. I purchased the Engine painting kit for the 350 in my '72 Chevelle, plus used the rust repair kit on a couple of small rust holes in the floor pan. Easy to use, and the results are great!

I recommend keeping the remainder of the unused paint around, as I am sure you will ding and scratch the frame up during re-assembly.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My son and I redid his 67 Camaro and we did the entire floor pan trunk inner fenders in black POR 15 with a brush and it looks great with no brush marks and a very nice finish for carpet or insulation or what ever. Just great stuff thks

·
Registered
3 Posts
Por-15 is a fantastic product when brushed on.
I have heard caution is to be taken when spraying
this product as it is suppose to contain iso-synates.
I don't know if this is true but I would check with
your POR-15 dealer if you plan on spraying.

·
Just one of the guys
3,074 Posts
Well after reading all of these post about POR-15 I am really surprised that everyone failed to mention...WEAR GLOVES!!!!! You get this stuff on your skin and I can guarantee you will be wearing it for quite awhile. Last July we had the annual Firecracker car show and this one guy came up and started talking. I asked him what the hell he had been into. He was covered clear up to his shoulders in black and his hands were almost solid black. He was underneath the car (up on stands) painting the entire underneath laying on a creeper. Painting around the leaf springs, rear end, you get the idea. When he went to wipe it off of his hands he stated he normally uses gasoline to clean off paint. He said he wiped and wiped and nothing. Would not come off. I asked him how long ago he had done his frame and he said it had been about four days by then and it still hadn't wore off. I realy felt sorry for him. I know when I painted my frame I stirred it up grabbed the brush and started painting. I had brush marks everywhere. I was disappointed but figured I could go back over it with some sandpaper, smooth it off a little, then possibly shoot it. By the time I was a few feet further on the frame I looked what I had already done and everything was smooth. Brush marks will disappear. POR-15 is great stuff.

Kevin

·
Registered
242 Posts
Nice to hear some good stuff about it! Think im gonna use it on my truck!! Might even use it on some tools I keep out in the garage!! :D

1 - 20 of 67 Posts