Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
Try this, it will do what you want.

http://www.kimballmidwest.com/Catalog/CatalogIndex.aspx?p=4030

It is thin enough to get into cracks, converts the rust to black oxide, hardens, and is paintable.

Used by the semi-tractor industry to treat the rusted tractor frames (that run in salt country all the time).

I have treated a heavily pitted deck lid with it, finished the panel to show like quality using PPG base/clear and am awaiting the next 10 years of it sitting outside to see if it lasts. LOL

oh ya, only $ 81 gallon + shp, and that will go a long long way.

(sort of similar to the Eastwood stuff, but easier to use)

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
adtkart said:
BTW... Most trucking complanies require that their equipment be kept clean to avoid corrosion problems.

Aaron

Cruise a few truck stops and see how clean and rust free semi tractor frames are. :thumbup:

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
I apologize to everyone for my lack of perception.

I incorrectly believed that hotrodders had enough common sense to determine when metal was structurally damaged and required replacement.

I don't do semi's either, but one of my regular customers (that I have built several cars for) owns a trucking company, and the KM is the best product they have found. They wouldn't use POR if it were free. POR won't stay on no matter how it is prepped.

I have looked at semi's at truck stops in my rust research.
Most 1/2 inch thick semi frames have LOTS of pits in them, and so do the axle housings, etc. Don't get the idea that the DOT is very strict about rust, they are not. One of my best friends is a cross country driver.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts