Hot Rod Forum banner
61 - 67 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
I apologize to everyone for my lack of perception.

I incorrectly believed that hotrodders had enough common sense to determine when metal was structurally damaged and required replacement.

I don't do semi's either, but one of my regular customers (that I have built several cars for) owns a trucking company, and the KM is the best product they have found. They wouldn't use POR if it were free. POR won't stay on no matter how it is prepped.

I have looked at semi's at truck stops in my rust research.
Most 1/2 inch thick semi frames have LOTS of pits in them, and so do the axle housings, etc. Don't get the idea that the DOT is very strict about rust, they are not. One of my best friends is a cross country driver.

·
SPI Thug
3,274 Posts
my whole family was truckers . been around it all my life. it's called weekly maintenance . most co's are smart enough to have a kid standing around with a power washer. most people with any sense keep their equipment clean.

no really interested in your research . i've seen these snake oils come and go for 40 years. it's called marketing. don't you find it odd that just about every professional painter on the board disagrees with you ? but yet you come here and tell us we have no common sense . ask any old body man what he thinks of undercoating. did more damage than good. i will leave it raw steel before i cover it with anything . because sooner or later moisture will find it's way in from somewhere , then it's nice and cozy in it's little rust hotel. if not replaced it will be blasted or cleaned with navel jelly. but then what would i know. :confused:

·
Registered
5,920 Posts
mercmad63 said:
The Europeans are the experts on what to use to both repair rust and prevent it .All tests I've seen done,On steel samples in controlled tests with all sorts of factors included,have indicated only one product that works and neither Rust bullet or POR 15 came anywhere near it.
Dinitrol

Oh Boy! Another one!

Shine, how many does this make now? That's one more that will work where the others have failed! Don't believe me? Just read their literature. Every single one of these products claim to work when the others won't, at least they get half of it right! :D

But wait a minute that must work because it is European and they are the "experts"! What the hell would us dumb old Americans know about rust anyway? :rolleyes:

·
©®™
1,306 Posts
oldred said:
Oh Boy! Another one!

Shine, how many does this make now? That's one more that will work where the others have failed! Don't believe me? Just read their literature. Every single one of these products claim to work when the others won't, at least they get half of it right! :D

But wait a minute that must work because it is European and they are the "experts"! What the hell would us dumb old Americans know about rust anyway? :rolleyes:
This one is not designed to apply over rust. It says bare metal and painted surfaces. I don't think it is marketed as a miracle cure like the others. It might be decent stuff for a rod where stone denting the wheel wells is a problem.

·
Registered
5,920 Posts
OK, I will take backwater on that one I should have read up on their site a little better. :spank: I was basing that mostly on the statement-

"All tests I've seen done,On steel samples in controlled tests with all sorts of factors included,have indicated only one product that works and neither Rust bullet or POR 15 came anywhere near it".

Quite obviously he was comparing it to POR15,etc and because of that I mistakenly assumed it was another one of those miracle cures. This however is in no way the same kind of product as the "converter hiders", and really is not even what we are talking about here. This looks to be nearly the same as the wax based surface sealers that work much like a coating of grease. Next time I will take the time to read the whole thing before commenting on something instead of just the first few lines.

61 - 67 of 67 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.