Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
NYOFP4RJ3CHRIS
1,545 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was putting a water pump on a '98 Boxter today and was shocked by a few things.

First- I'm no dummy when it comes to some things so I knew to open the rear hatch to get to the motor. Problem was I didn't see any motor in there, it's only accessible from the bottom. I had to lift the carpet and remove a panel from behind the seats to replace the belt. And be super clean about the whole ordeal.:sweat:

Second- It takes only Porsche "special" factory authorized coolant. It's designed (supposedly) to last a lifetime never needing serviced. Which is a good thing considering it only comes in quart sized bottles at eleven bucks each!!!

Third- I'm not sure, but I think the owner said the pump itself cost just over three bills. It wasn't even anything special as far as I'm concerned.

:eek:

·
Super Moderator
18,376 Posts
You know what they say....................."If you have to ask the price, you can't afford it"

Still would like to have one.........................

·
Premium Member
3,519 Posts
isnt the boxter kindof the "weak" porsche?

Only a good idea if you live in germany, the import costs of those cars drives the damned prices through the roof

K

·
Registered
150 Posts
Yes, they are VERY expensive to maintain. You can try and fix them yourself and save the $135/hr. dealership rate.

·
current hot rod: CTS-V
1,821 Posts
killerformula said:

K
Yea it is, runs high 14's. When the WRX came out (Car and Driver, i think) put it up against the Boxter and the WRX beat it in just about every test.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I forget what the deal is with the Porsche coolant, but, it is required. We had a 996 at the shop that needed a new coolant overflow bottle or something, and when the tech was done, he filled the system up with regular antifreeze.

The dealer laughed when we called in about the motor running rough. Basically told us to come pick up their coolant, and come prelubed up.

The coolant has some special property or something. It is something stupid like it doesn't conduct electricity or something whack.

·
NYOFP4RJ3CHRIS
1,545 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
killerformula said:

Only a good idea if you live in germany, the import costs of those cars drives the damned prices through the roof

K
I couldn't tell you how it runs, 'cause all I did was pull it out to the lot when I finished and grabbed the next car. :(

When it was all said and done, it cost the owner almost eight hundred bucks to swap pumps. I made some serious jack on that baby. ;) :D

iiibdsiil- It smelled like waffle syrup (I'm serious). :drool: :D

·
Super Moderator
18,376 Posts
Ghetto Jet said:
Don't go tasting it BstMech.

Poncho I was being sarcastic.

I know, so was I..........................I just hate the destruction of the language.

Think I will go and "Pimp" my ride....whatever that means..................

·
Kenneth Howard hates you...
572 Posts
When I worked for Porsche/VW/Audi, you would be really suprised what parts are used on a 3 lines of cars. As far as the coolant goes....yeah, its not cheap. 1liter bottles only. It is a silicate free coolant. Its only available through Porsche Dealers and if you don't have any available, use clear water, because regular coolant mixed with it will make the car run very rough.
Later,
WEIMER

1 - 12 of 12 Posts