Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was talking to a guy who came into the parts store where I work, and he told me that Porter-Cable paint guns were manufactured by DeVilbiss. Is there any truth to this? I went out and bought a $100 HVLP gravity fed and the cap/tip setup looks a helluva lot better than the Sharpe Cobalts we sell. I'm waiting for better weather to lay the first coat of paint, but I just thought I'd get some feedback on this. Also, I was wondering what everybody thought about using a Campbell Hausfield Wal-Mart special as a primer gun? If not, I found a lot of rejected warranties in the store-room the other day and was thinking of throwing together a hybrid lol Actually, I already pieced one together from a Sharp Cobalt gun with a DeVilbiss(old...it had a crap load of dust on it) cup/stirrer. It's the craziest setup I've ever seen...the regulator branches off and goes to the gun and also to the cup to turn a little stirrer in the cup?? I've never seen anything like that before lol Anyway, thanks ahead of time for any replies..

Paul

[ February 16, 2003: Message edited by: Custom95Z ]</p>

·
Registered
547 Posts
You'll find that a lot of items these days are made by one company and sold under many different brands. One company (Porter Cable)may make the spray gun and sell it to 2 or 3 other companies (DeVilbiss, Sharp Cobalt) who just put a label on it save on the cost of manufacturing. So your customer may be correct. Use the Wal-Mart gun, it'll work fine for primer, just clean well after each use. :cool:

[ February 16, 2003: Message edited by: jalopy45 ]</p>

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thank ya much ;) I kinda figured so, but who knows these days lol I'm going to go buy the Wal-Mart gun this friday and try to get it adjusted just right for the 2K urethane primer and then adjust the HVLP to see how well it shoots a small amount of base. I'm also going to try a medium solids urethane clear (rather than the high solids I'm accustomed to using). I should have a little fun! thanks again for the reply jalopy.

Paul

[ February 16, 2003: Message edited by: Custom95Z ]</p>

1 - 3 of 3 Posts