Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
I get it, but not really...
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Impala SS

recently was in the shop to get wiring worked on for the actual lights to be all functional (prepping for insurance inspection for higher agreed value coverage :D )...

When I got it back the first time, they had mixed some wires and i had live power at all times...

This second time i got it back, they straightened the wiring out, but now when i have my lights on, my turn indicators stay on or blink randomly and my speedo light goes out entirely.

Ive noticed if i push up in the steering wheel, i get some speedo light back and the others dim out...

I'm guessing a pinched wire in my signal harness?

Don't want to be without my car for a whole 'nother week so these bozos can fix their work AGAIN, though I know they would for free... its just... time i do stuff myself! :thumbup: .. well at least try.

... in addition, my front drivers side turn signal is non functional yet the bulb is good... maybe ill fix this if getting the phantoms out of the system??

just adding as much info per :pimp: 's guidelines!

·
Footstomper
271 Posts
Weird signals

I was out of work at the time, but I installed a wiring kit from EZ wiring. I got a call to go out of town to work and quickly connected up my gauges. After coming back to town after 2 months when the job was through, I finished the wiring. I was astounded when the engine got hot, I had a half a tank of fuel, knowing I had just filled it up. And at the same time, I was running very hot on the temperature gauge, yet the motor was cool as a cucumber. WHAT GIVES! After several months, it dawned on me to switch the wires according to the wiring schematic, and presto, it works great! I hope you have your schematic, I have a manual with all the instructions for anything I have added to the car.

·
life is a ride
1,540 Posts
Story sounds familiar. "Bozos working on electrical systems etc."

The symptoms you describe are most likely grounding problems.

Both the speedo light and the turn signal.

Replace the turn signal bulb with a Known good bulb.
Make sure the socket shell is grounded.

The dash cluster has a ground bus that could be broken.
Also, the ground bonding wire that connects the cluster to the chassis is not connected or loose.

vicod

·
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Vic and Foot:

I do have my chassis manual with all wiring diagrams in it... so i guess i need to get my electrical engineer shirt and cap on and get to tracing "colored lines" in black and white with my finger across multiple pages! ;) HA! :D

Thank you gentlemen.

·
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
An update

Turn signal is fine, took off lens cover and realized the socket is just a little loose... so I fiddled with it and got the bulb settled better and it's been working fine.

Still investigating the grounding issues with the dash.. not gonna lie, the under side of the dash, with wiring that's been jimmy rigged for 40 years... not the easiest to understand.

Can anyone give me something particular to look for regarding the ground bus vicrod mentioned? "The dash cluster has a ground bus that could be broken.
Also, the ground bonding wire that connects the cluster to the chassis is not connected or loose."

Thanks All.

·
Registered
7,345 Posts
Doc here , :pimp:

Look for a BLACK wire coming from the gauge cluster, to the body..

IF you can't locate one INSTALL one. Make a wire of appropriate length that will attach at the cluster and dash, and the other end to the Body..Burnish off all paint and corrosion from both attach points and use STAR and LOCK washers..ADD another to the STEERING Column mount at the base to the Body.

Good Luck!

Doc :pimp:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.