Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We are an RC club in Columbia MO. We are currently raising money for our club and a club member donated a GM intake. We were told it was off a 69 vette and listed it as such on ebay. A guy contacted us and told us it is his belief that this is off a 66-67 L79 327 and is fairly rare. We stopped the auction till we could determine just exactly what it is and list it correctly.

Just wanted to see if anyone could provide us any info on it, if so we would greatly appreciate it. I was talking with the guy that donated it and he had taken it off his car to put on a different intake. He said that he might also still have the full engine with all the rest of the matching casting numbers, fully built & running but without this intake. He is going to check casting numbers tomorrow on everything.

http://www.ColumbiaThunder.org/Intake

Thank-you,
Kelly Michels
President
Columbia Thunder RC Club

·
Member# 3287
2,625 Posts
That intake was used on Corvettes, Chevy IIs, and Chevelles, in '66 and '67, on 327 engines.*

*Chevy-By-The-Numbers

·
Registered
4,259 Posts
According to the Vetteworks web site your intake (casting #3890490) decodes as a factory aluminum high rise 4 bbl. manifold which was original equipment on 66-67 350 hp. 327 cu. in. Corvette engines. This casting number also was listed for 66-67 Nova SS.

Hope this helped.

Centerline

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Any idea how many were made? Is this a rare item? I did see one on ebay with same casting number go for $1,275 last week so it can't be to common. :)

Thank you very much for checking it out.

Kelly

·
Member# 3287
2,625 Posts
They're getting a little harder to find...but not worth $1,275. I've got one on my '67 and I paid $200 for it.

·
Registered
2,354 Posts
My literature says that casting number was a cast iron intake and was a high rise for Hollys. Because of hood clearance, not sure many high rises found their way into the early Vettes I will quote something that may help. " Most production aluminum intakes were used for high performance applications, but some aluminum intakes on late-model smallblocks are for low and moderate performance, and thes used QuadraJet carbs. Many of the aluminum intakes were cast by the Winters Forndry, a long-time outside contractor for Chevorlet. (They also made aluminum heads and water pumps for Chevrolet). These aluminum manifolds carry the winters Foundry "snowflake" and "W" logo." Kelly, could you post another pic of the top view that includes the entire intake?

Trees

·
Member# 3287
2,625 Posts
The 490 is a Winters high-rise.

I don't think GM kept track of engine parts produced. Probably the only way to find out how many of these intakes were made would be to somehow determine how many L79s were produced. A daunting task.

The last ones I've seen on EBay sold for about $250 or so. Of course there's always the "got the fever" bidders who bid way out of line and inflate prices.

·
Registered
150 Posts
There is a website that exists that has the production numbers for every single Vette option by year. I found it some time ago when I was looking at a '69 big block. I'll try and find it and post a link.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Roughly 27K Corvettes w/ L79s from 65 to 68. Probably the most popular optional engine on Corvettes in it's time.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts