Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I start my 55GMC it will not start untill I release the ignition key. I'm not sure if it is the wiring of the Ign switch or the wiring to the starter?
Any help will be appreciated.................Phxamigo

·
Registered
534 Posts
Phxamigo said:
When I start my 55GMC it will not start untill I release the ignition key. I'm not sure if it is the wiring of the Ign switch or the wiring to the starter?
Any help will be appreciated.................Phxamigo
Some of those old ones had a wire that went from ignition switch straight to the coil,while starter was engaged and when you let it back to run position the wire went through a resistor to the coil. You either got switch problems or theres a wire not hooked up.

Also it seems that some types had a wire from the starter solenoid that went up to coil also.
Brain Fade in progress!

·
Administrator
18,399 Posts
There was usually a wire from the "S" terminal of the starter, directly to the coil. This way, when cranking, 12 volts to coil for starting. when released, it went to the 7 volts from the ballast resister......Maybe, this wire is broken or not connected

·
Registered
7,345 Posts
Doc here, :pimp:

Sounds to me like your Secondary Ignition wire is missing or has fallen off. This wire Provides a solid 12 volts (or about after voltage drops), to the coil during cranking mode PAST the Ballast resistor.

It will be located on the "I" or "R" terminal on the starter, (the smaller terminal on the side of the solenoid toward the fenderwell) and runs to the + side of the coil ahead of the ballast.

It only provides power when the "S" terminal is energized during cranking from an internal "shoe", that contacts the Battery cable terminal, the "S" terminal, and the "I" terminal when the solenoid is magnetically thrust forward while cranking, and is "OFF" when the key is released.

Some older GM Ignition switches when rotated to the "Start" Position, will drop power to the "Run" side when cycled to start..yours may be one too.

Sounds to me like you have a "Well Tuned Truck" with no secondary Ignition. :D :D

Keep us updated!

Doc :pimp:

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks to all of you that replied to my question. Since I am an early riser, I don't usually get on the computer after 7AM, I believe the answer that more likey will cure my problem is the missing wire from the starter to the coil.
I will try to add that wire this morning after daylight, and the temperature rises a little. I will let you all know if it was successful or not.
Thanks again for the help.
Al..........Phxamigo from Tucson :welcome: :)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Success on the wiring job.

Hey Guys, all of you that responded to my wiring problem questiom.

Thanks again for all of your help. I just finished connecting a wire from the small, outer post of the solonoid, to the + side of the ign. coil & that fixed the problem.
:) :cool: Al...........Phxamigo of Tucson

P. S. Maybe I may be able to help someone else with their problem in the future.

·
Registered
7,345 Posts
Doc here, :pimp:

Glad to hear you got it fixed! :D

:welcome: Welcome, :welcome: Looking forward to your Posts! :thumbup:

Doc :pimp:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts