Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody do any powder coating? I picked up a powder coating oven and gun (the Eastwood starter deal) at a garage sale. It looks pretty simple - just clean, spray and cook. The only problem is the oven measures only about 17X17X20. About the biggest thing I could get in there would be an intake manifold and then I would have to put it in diagonally. Anyhow, I see that Eastwood sells some infra-red curing lamps for the larger items. I'm wondering if these would be worth buying. If not, what would be? I'm thinking in terms of a radiator support, inner fender, like that. Thanks.
jor

·
Registered
185 Posts
I just have the oven..........have never heard of results from the lights..........and don't really want to have to store them when not in use. Although, it would be kinda cool to do my own frame, huh?

·
Registered
155 Posts
Built a large oven. Looks kinda like a safe. Propane burners at the bottom. 6'x4'x4'. Put oven temp guages in center of door about 1/4 way from top and bottom. Insulated with 1" insulating foam with reflective sheet. Will try to post pics.

Had used oven before, but it was just too restrictive on size, and rack system was a pita.

·
Registered
3,925 Posts
Yes, you can build your own oven to basically any size and shape you need. Most guys then put electric oven heating elements in them to provide the heat source. If you google something like "build powder coating over" you should come up with some sites with plans, drawings and pics.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Cheep Way

Hi I Am Getting Ready To Build My Oven Got Rid Of Old Junk Truck At Salvage Place And While I Was Talking To The Man I Saw Some Trash Bin,s And Guess What Just Right ,,weighting For Him To Bring It So I Can Get Started On It It Is About 8x8x6 Tall I Will Take Photos As I Go If Any One Wants To See Tim

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yea, please document your whole building project if you can. I and probably others, would be very interested in seeing it. Thanks.
jor

·
Registered
3,925 Posts
Tim,

I second that. I'm particularly interested in the documentation of an over that large. Most of the home build ones I've seen on the web are quite a bit smaller. So yours will be of real interest. Probably best to post it in the Garage/Tools Forum when you get ready with some pics.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts