Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello fellow hot rodders, does anyone know how do i powdercoat frame? cause i know u have to like "bake" it in like 400 degrees for 10 minutes to cure, but how do i "bake" whole frame then? doesnt powdercoating dry after being applied? and what capacity of air compressor should i use if i buy it like from ebay about 3Hp 8 gallons would be enough air pressure for the job?

·
Premium Member
8,454 Posts
You can't do this at home. The kit that Eastwood sells if for very small parts that will fit in your oven. For anything bigger than a valve cover, get it done professionally. In fact, get the valve cover done professionally! It really isn't cost effective to do this yourself when you figure in the mis-fires you will have. It is in the realm of chrome plating as far as do-it-yourself goes. It takes a bunch of specialty equipment including a car sized 400deg bake oven, full sized 100hp sand blaster, good air filtering equipment, very specialized spray guns and city zoning to make a big dusty mess for a quarter mile radius. Then there is the issue of practice. Not done right and there will be holidays in the final coating that can't be repaired without a full sand blast and recoating. Plus there is a shelf life to the powder. Discouraged yet?

Actually, it doesn't cost that much when you figure the cost of having your components sand blasted, then the cost of a good urethane paint. Powder coating takes care of all of that. I just took my 6 cylinder engine block and head to be done in dead white and it will cost $150. A polished aluminum auto trans case is obviously not sand blasted and a coat of clear costs $50. Not bad when you consider all the masking and prep required to do these pieces. As I recall, a bare frame costs in the range of $500 and the entire undercarriage including the frame and all the MII front end components, leaf springs, motor and trans mounts, etc. is in the $800 range. Again compare that to the best commercial sand blast job and good urethane paint that will have chips before you get it all reassembled.

Incidentally, this coating never "dries" because it is never wet. The process is to sandblast the substrate to white metal, attach electrodes to it and to the spray gun so they are electrostatically charged, spray on an extremely fine dry powdered plastic that sucks onto the surface due to the electrostatic charge then place it in an oven and actually melt the plastic powder onto the sand blasted surface. When cooled, this is an extremely durable and attractive surface.

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks for reply, it helped me answer some questions, cause i wondered how it "cures"
i had in mind that it was some kind of plastic media that was melted in oven, but u just made me sure
thanks. sandblasting i can do myself though i have my own kit to do that, i guess i will just put some special black frame coating on it, no need for expensive powdercoat,when i can do it cheaper and look as good as powdercoat, but anyways thanks for reply, this board is very helpful

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i wondered if i could very carefully "cure" it with butane torch going very carefully so it wont burn but just heat it up enough to mold onto parts..?

·
Registered
102 Posts
Forget about the butane torch idea.Open flame for curing powdercoat could lead to disaster. I doubt that you could sucessfully do a frame that way anyway. Those Eastwood kits are only designed to do small parts. We have one at work and it was only used once on some control arms for a resto project and the results weren't that great. A good urethane single stage black with some flex additive in it will give you good results and can easily be repaired if it gets damaged.

·
Just one of the guys
3,074 Posts
Only certain places are capable of powdercoating something the size of a frame. I found on place today that is about a half an hour from here. Motorcycle frame prepped and powdercoated is $150.00. Full size car frame prepped and powdercoated $400.00. That is for black. Colors are a little more expensive. Ceramic coating headers $200.00. Not too bad a price.

Kevin

·
Premium Member
8,454 Posts
Don't even think of exposing the powder to an open flame! Organic substances become as explosive as dynamite when in a powder form. There really isn't a good alternative to having powdwe coating done commercially. If you aren't prepared to go this route, stick with a catalyzed urethane paint job which is an excellent second choice.

·
Registered
56 chev on 79 chassis, 62 LeSabre
3,136 Posts
ANYTHING THAT'S POWDERCOATED HAS TO BE SANDBLASTED FIRST! IF YOU DO IT IT'S CHEAPER. THERES THIS SHOP UP HERE THAT WILL CHARGE YOU LIKE $200 FOR A WHOLE RACK OF PARTS REGARDLESS OF HOW MANY PARTS ARE ON IT!!! IF THEY ARE SAND BLASTED. IT TAKES LOTS OF TIME TO SAND BLAST, AND ANYTHING THAT WILL MELT IN THE OVEN USED TO BAKE IT ON WILL HAVE TO BE REMOVED FIRST TOO. I GOT MY BACK TUBE BUMBER, UPPER VALENCE UNDER THE HOOD, HOOD HINGES A TRAIN LOAD OF LATCHES FOR MY BOXES DOORS ALL FOR LESS THAN TWO BILLS BECAUSE IT ALL WENT ON THE SAME RACK. YOU COULD WORK A DEAL LIKE THAT AND GET YOUR FRAME DONE AS WELL AS EVERYTHING ELSE ALL FOR THE SAME PRICE, BUT YOU'LL HAVE TO BLAST IT FIRST :D

·
Premium Member
8,454 Posts
Bull has it right. This stuff is relatively cheap. With paint going for upwards of $100/gallon, this is a very attractive alternative. As with everything, preparation is the key. The more prep you can do, the less it will cost you. Personally, I like to take advantage of the professional sandblasting service, especially for frames and such, rather than spending a day or two of my time doing it. Also, they can clear coat polished aluminum (transmission cases, etc.) with out sandblasting but colored parts should be blasted - coating sticks better.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am interested in powdercoating an entire frame of a car, but I have had no luck in finding a place in Ontario that will do a large piece like this. Can anyone here point me in the right direction?

Herbie.

·
Just one of the guys
3,074 Posts
Herbie...Check with some area factories. Sometimes the products they make get powder-coated and they in turn could point you in the direction to go. Then again, if the powder-coating facility is too far away then it would be cost prohibitive to get it done due to the fact you would have to truck it. If a place was only an hour or two away then that would not be too bad. Powder-coating facilities are starting to crop up what seems like every week. It is a growing trend. Also try doing a search on the Internet for powder-coating facilities near your area.

OK, I did a search for "powdercoating ontario canada" and this is what came up:
http://www.finishing.com/115/96.html
http://www.worldchempages.com/canada/a/abc_ electro_ powdercoating_ ltd.htm
http://www.abcpowdercoating.com/locate.html
http://www.powdercoating.org/members/custom/outusa.htm

Give one of them a call and see what they could do for you.

Kevin

·
Registered
51 Posts
Great link for powdercoating info:

http://my.execpc.com/~davewrit/Powder.html

I have a shop near me that does excellant work, Exotic Coatings in Romulus, at fair prices. He heats all parts before coating, whether he sandblasts them or you bring them already blasted. This step is important to "burn off" contaminants that might be present and bubble thru when curing the powder.

There are pors and cons with PC as with any other system. It is tough stuff though but if chipped not easily repaired.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts