Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Maybe you guys can help me decide on power or manual steering for my 59 rambler project. I'm not sure how much the car will weight when completed , but around 2800 lbs is probably close. The front tires are 195/50/15, and the number one spark plug will be just behind the cross member centerline when finished. The motor is a late model LT1 from a 1994 firebird, so it already has the power steering pump, but I don't know what pressure this system operates at or what the requirements are for the mustang system. The car would probably steer fine with a manual rack, but power would be nice especially since I already have the pump. If I don't use the pump I'll have to mount some sort of delete pulley in it's place, because this motor uses a serpentine belt. Any input is welcome and greatly appreciated. Thanks.

·
Home Built Rods No Rules
750 Posts
My opinion I would say the manual would do just fine,I had a 39 ford coupe with manual thought it was ok. My coupe is right at 2500lbs just fine manual. If you do go with power I believe it is recommended to put something in lines at the power rack to slow it down.

·
Member - AMC/Rambler "guru"
1,847 Posts
If you use a manual rack you can loop the power steering hose on the pump (output to return) until you figure out how to eliminate it. Just keep fluid in it!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.