Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for a power steering bracket that doesnt use the headrer bolt as part of the mounting of the pump. This is on a 69 chevy 350, If i have to i can make my own i just have to find someone who sells a thick enough steel to make it out of. The steel used now is 3/16 and all i can find at the hardware store is 1/8. basically i want to run a plate off of 2 of the holes in the head and right down to the pump. I dont see anything like this in jegs so if anyone knows where i could get something like this that would be great.

·
russlaferrera
203 Posts
As for steel. Look in the yellow pages under "Machine shops" find one that is close to you. They all have scrap or will give/sell you a piece of steel. Where I worked we always had people coming by. My boss would give it to them for free....russ

·
Registered
744 Posts
Are you talking about someting like this? I think this was 1/8" strap I got from home depot, keep the metal long and put it in a vice and its easy to bend. Once the piece is cut down its plenty strong.

Jordon

Attachments

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hey jordon, Mine is a little different this bracket would have to be like 10 inches long and flat. The only reason i wanted to have 3/16 is to keep the pulleys lined up. I do have 1/8 inch stock here maybe i will use that and space it a 1/16 with a washer. I dont remember what vehicle i even pulled half this stuff off of but my pump mounts different then yours does. But hey now i have a creative spark goin. Thats good to know russ im always lookin for steel my brother inlaw used to work at a steel place but he's one of those stingy guys. Its funny though a guy gets a welder and suddenly i want to make all this stuff. Thanks guys for your help maybe a guy should put something like this on the market if know one else is. :D

·
Registered
327 Posts
this is the bracket I have for my p/s and it mounts to the lower two holes in the block at the bottom left side of the block. These holes where rusted through and stripped out from the previous owner of the engine. so I made the second pictures bracket that does the same BUT it mounted only to the water pump bolts and has worked great for a long time know. I added the turn buckle for adjustment off the lower alt. bracket. Ed ke6bnl this is a 63 327 motor.

·
Registered
5,098 Posts
A friend of mine used to sell such a bracket for a long-water-pump SBC without A/C. It was a simple flat bracket that mounted to two of the accessory holes in the front of the left head, and curved downward and toward the outside, where it was slotted for adjustment. I don't remember the exact thickness, but I think it was around 1/4". Unfortunately, he's not in business any more, and I don't have a pic.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.