Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We are restoring a 1960 Biscayne and we just purchased a complete power sterring conversion kit from classic perform with the 605 steering box. After much frustration we have the pump and steering box installed but we are trying to figure out how to route the power steering hoses. There isn't a lot of room in there anymore. Is there a good way of routing these lines without interferring with other working components? :confused:

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Didn't the guys who sold you the parts have any advice for you (or didn't you call them) or supply a set of installation instructions??
Any supplier of any modification kit for any car should supply a well-illustrated and well-written set of installation instructions in English produced with the assumption that the installer doesn't know a lug wrench from a Dr. Scholl's foot pad.
Those that don't follow this simple bit of common sense and courtesy to their customers should be taken to the town square and horse-whipped, then returned to their shops wiser men or boys. C'mon guys, not everybody out there knows all about the car jazz or wants to know. Some just want to enjoy their rides and do some improvement without a (heh-heh) "Mechanic's Degree.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the comments. We bought this kit from a very reputable company and they did not send instructions at all. We have called the tech line and where told good luck with getting the lines ran. They didn't have any advice and told us to try to get them installed the best we can. We aren't totally in the dark but almost. Thanks,

·
Car? Truck? Who Cares
2,485 Posts
I had a rough time getting hoses routed as well.
Their conversion is specifically for a small block car.
I had to send the power steering pump back 3 times for the right one, and in the meantime just used a pump and brackets for a 79 chev pick-up with a 454.
As I have a 454 in my car---the pump brackets did not work either.
I went to pep boys and got a pressure hose---again '79 454 chev truck
The return on the pump that was sent was in the wrong place---the hoses, I can only assume were generic SBC hoses.
And then-----after all that----the sway bar that I purchased from them would not work with the PS gearbox & bracket.
This was actually most annoying. I ended up making my own bracket for the gearbox, so it could be relocated for sway bar clearance, and actually improved the angle of the pitman arm to the centerlink.
CPP actually has one of these brackets---I sent one to them---Don't know if they have done anything with it though.

Probably to save time and headaches---Just go to one of the stores and look for a hose that might suit your application.

Bryan

1 - 5 of 5 Posts