Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am putting a 90 chevy 305 in my 67 chevelle with power steering and a factory serpentine belt setup. When I set the motor down the power steering pump hits the steering box and holds the motor up about 3/8 of and inch. It looks that I can shim the mounts. Is this a good idea? what type of clearance between the pump and box should I try to end up with? Is it better to shim both sides or just the one? and finally should I shim the mount off the motor or shim the tower on the frame.

·
Registered
46 Posts
When I installed the engine and serp belt setup on my 69, the p/s pulley was VERY close to one of the steering box bolts, due to how low the pump is in relation to the older style bracket system.

I am using a 4 rib non a/c setup from an 89 1/2 ton truck, and noticed the p/s pulley is quite large in diameter.

Now....if you were to drop into an auto wrecker, you would likely find a 1995-up model GM car with a 3.1 V6. These have a nice small composite p/s pulley that you could use on your pump, and may give you adequate clearance to the box. I have one of these pulleys in my garage, just haven't gotten around to installing it yet.

You'll need to borrow/buy a p/s pump pulley puller & installer to get the job done though.

HTH

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys I keep running into things like this but it is still to best hobby in the world

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I thought about the march system but the cost is just crazy in my opinion. So I need to try shimming the mounts or something. I was mainly looking for how much clearance is good.

thanks

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks Don, i never even thought about the fact that it would lift on acceleration. that is good to know

tom

1 - 8 of 8 Posts