Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Something I was thinking of that be a neat sort of James Bond type deal. Donno how to do it tho.. Id like to be able to pop and open the tailgate from inside the truck.. I dont want it to thud open as it drops.. so I was thinkin of using mini hatchback struts to dampen it.. but then I wouldnt be able to close it other than maneually.. I want to use this for freeway driving and my license plate is a part of the tailgate from the factory.. anyone done something like this before or know of a universal kit? Id like to still be able to eat lunch while sitting on the tail gate as well.. ;) heres how its setup..

I think this would be a neat project.. I saw something like this on the front end clip of a whillys.. I was at a stoplight with my shelby and he revved up on me.. I revved back.. then his front clip tilted forward automatically and back closed.. blinded by crome.. threw him a thumbs up.. thats been stuck in my head for a while.. :)
any ideas?
thanks a bunch.. glad to be here. :p

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
Thats a simple mod with a big impact. Anything that moves on its own has a really good wOw effect. Just replace one of the side straps with an electric actuator. Some shoe horning and sheetmetal mods may be needed, but will do exactly what you want. Electric actuators are sold in verious strengths, sizes and prices, but are sold nearly everywhere streetrod parts are.

HK

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Originally posted by Halloweenking:
<strong>Thats a simple mod with a big impact. Anything that moves on its own has a really good wOw effect. Just replace one of the side straps with an electric actuator. Some shoe horning and sheetmetal mods may be needed, but will do exactly what you want. Electric actuators are sold in verious strengths, sizes and prices, but are sold nearly everywhere streetrod parts are.

HK</strong><hr></blockquote>

Im goin for that WTF effect with this truck as money permits ;)
If i were to hookup an actuator.. would it be able to take weight as well? lets say I hook up an actuator.. someone sits on the tailgate... will it be enuff?
any actuator websites? :)
It would also be fun to make a fake missle and a fuse setup to where if someone tailgates you.. tailgate drops, ect.. hehehe
thanks a bunch....

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
actuator anyone? where to get em?
thanks

·
Super Moderator
6,623 Posts
Mcmaster Carr.

Search for "electromechanical actuators".

[ May 10, 2003: Message edited by: 4 Jaw Chuck ]</p>

·
Just one of the guys
3,074 Posts
Why not just check in Street Truck magazine or Trucks magazine or one of those similiar mags and just purchase the kit for the automatic tailgate. At a certain speed it will also drop down automatically to save on fuel. You were just a little bit too late.

Kevin

·
Shop Owner And Troll Hunter
2,643 Posts
I`ve seen a lot of remote tailgates,but never a missile or rocket launcher that would be to kool.

I don`t tailgate, but if I did, and that happened to me, I would pull over and change shorts!! LOL

·
Registered
323 Posts
Linear actuators are pretty pricey.. I've heard some guys use power window motors with some success. The Dodge Caravan pop-out power window motors might be an option, too.

You mentioned your licence plate.. My 'Burb has a linkage so that when you lower the tailgate, the plate and the middle brake light are still pointing backwards (instead of down). I think it was on all the '47-'55 Suburban/Panel trucks with the clam shell rear door option. Might be worth checking out.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts