Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I recently purchased a supercharger to play around with. Along with that I wanted an 850cfm mechanical secondary to replace the 750cfm vacuum secondary. I bought a lightly used AED 850 that actually turned out, unknowingly to the seller, to be a "blower" version of the 850 carb that AED sells. It already has a boost reference signal for the power valve from the factory and the original hole blocked off.

I posted this carburetor on a facebook carburetor group just making sure I was looking at it correctly. A well known carb builder, I wont mention his name, commented on the post asking why I was running a power valve. He went on to explain that he doesn't recommend running a power valve at all, jetting the main circuit up 6-7 jets and locking out the distributor. I explained to him that this is a really low boost, street driven truck and not a race truck. This did not change his opinion at all.

To confuse me even more, I asked if this is just because it is a blower set up, or if he recommends doing this on an N/A motor. He recommends it on any set up.

This is completely opposite of what I believed to be true prior to this post and opposite of anything I have ever read. He is a very well known, well respected, carb builder who charges, and gets, top dollar for his carburetors!

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
15,337 Posts
Treat 6 to 7 pounds of boost like a regular condition for power and ignition with reference to boost pressure. On the street most of the time there will be little to no boost so if you plug the power jetting and increase the mains by 6 to 7 sizes or more most of the time the engine will be running quite rich and this is very destructive to the bore, ring and skirt by increasing wear because the fuel is washing off the lube on these parts.

Bogie

1 - 3 of 3 Posts